Biology Personal Statement Examples

Since as long ago as I can remember I have always been fascinated by the natural world. That childish fascination has not left me but deepened over the years. This interest has led me to my love of biology, ecology, animal behaviour and evolution...
Being born in the shadow of Sellafield, and growing up near the home of Unilever Research & Development, my interest in Science was, in my eyes, inevitable. My fascination with Biology began to develop at a young age...
Holding a one day old kitten with a mangled leg is just one of many times when I felt certain I wanted to devote my life to animals. Through volunteering with animals and studying sciences at A-level, I realised that I am fascinated by scientific research and Bioveterinary Science...
I have always had an interest in science-based subjects, especially those relating to biology. Whilst undertaking my A-level Biology course, the module energy and ecosystems was of particular interest to me...
When Aristotle, in 300 BC, first decided to analyse the creatures living in the sea, he set the starting point of what was to become a revolutionary science. He found it fascinating, but studying aquatic creatures was not something he could do with ease...
I think snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef is the closest thing to magic I’ll ever have the fortune to experience. The fragile coral beneath the majestic manta rays cannot help but provoke massive curiosity into the complex ecosystems and inspire endless wonder for the natural world...
Outside was always my favourite place as a child, splashing in puddles, inspecting insects under magnifying glasses and having snail races with my brothers. The living world fascinated me. My enthusiasm has only increased over the years and living by the sea has inspired me further...
From a childhood fascination with prehistoric life to the creation of my science revision YouTube channel (MrBioTom1), my enthusiasm for biology continues to be a major focus and joy in my life. As a child of six reading books about dinosaurs and birds I found comparing their anatomy intriguing and was fascinated to learn that dinosaurs evolved into the birds we see today...
The natural world has always fascinated me and the importance of understanding it has never been more important than it is today. With so many environmental tipping points approaching and many contentious issues surrounding the environment there can seem to be little prospect of a fulfilling career in conservation; however I strongly feel that science has the potential to produce a sustainable planet if people are educated to understand its value...
My interest in Biology started at a very young age due to spending a lot of time outdoors. I am intrigued by the functioning of living organisms and how they are all linked; one small change in one species will affect a whole range of others...
During my work experience at the Marine Biological Association of the UK, I carried out electrophoresis on the DNA of Emiliania huxleyi. This was the first time that I had a chance to see marine biology on a professional level...
Ever since I was very young, I have been fascinated by and have had a keen interest in many aspects of Biology. The areas of Biology in which I am particularly interested are living organisms, the environment and human Biology...
Experiencing first-hand life as a human in the natural world, I have the authority to confirm that regardless of previous knowledge, unexplained phenomena still exist. As a scientist, I adore observing the unknown, analysing the known and making decisions accordingly...
I have chosen to study biochemistry or pharmacy at university because I have enjoyed studying biology and chemistry at college at A-level, and I am keen to proceed with them to a more advanced level. I think doing either of these is the most suitable option...
Natural Sciences I have chosen to study Natural Sciences because of a constant curiosity with the workings of the world around me. By doing Natural Sciences I hope to build on my existing knowledge by studying a stimulating and inspiring subject in much greater detail...
As with science in general, I find it interesting, often fascinating, and I feel that I could gain much from studying it at university University has always appealed to me because of the wealth of experiences it has to offer as a student...
The progression of technology and the effects it has had on civilisation has always fascinated me, and generated within me a profound interest in the Sciences. More recently, I have begun to excel more in Biology than Chemistry or Physics, and this is where I wish to continue my studies...
My choice of marine biology stms from a combination of interests, both academic and recreational. Biology has been one of my favourite subjects at school now for some years and studying geology has expanded my intrest further, showing links between how life on eatyh began nd how it evolved over time...
Having always had a keen interest in Biology, specifically in the human area, I believe that studying a degree in is the perfect opportunity for me to deepen my understanding of the subject. My aim, subject to successful completion of my studies at university, would be to continue my studies but in the field of chiropractory...
University has always appealed to me because of the wealth of experiences it has to offer as a student. Although I enjoy Computing and Chemistry: two of my 'A level' subjects, I am especially keen to study Biology and Psychology...
I have always been interested in Biology and Chemistry. I find them stimulating and challenging subjects, and over the years of studying them both, my interest in them has increased. This is why studying biomedical sciences at university is an ideal choice for me This year, whilst studying for my AS level subjects, I attended a Biology Conference at Westminster Centre Hall to increase my understanding of today's biological world...
My fascination with Science developed at a young age owing to the fact that both my parents and brother are employed in the medical industry Both my parents are registered nurses and my brother, a biomedical scientist...
The courses I am applying for are: Biochemistry/Sandwich Medical Biochemistry Physiology and Biochemistry Forensic Science The reasons for these choices are that I am studying both biology and chemistry at A Level and enjoy these two subjects the most and would like to combine them at higher education...
A person's fingerprint is like a biological seal which, once impressed, can never be denied (Colin Beavan). Having arrived at A levels my developing interest in science, especially biology, became firmed up by the time decision time came...
My interest in science widened when I started high school. It gave me the opportunity to do well on my favourite subjects. This opportunity led me to have the interest on the physical human health; specifically the known illnesses that we can have at present and might have in the future...
My grandfather used to be a teacher in Biology and I really enjoyed reading and looking through his textbooks when I was a child. He is the person who first introduced me to the world of natural sciences and inspired me to further explore that field of study...
I have always been interested in Forensic Science and Biological Science and learning how different techniques and methods are used for solving crimes. In particular how the principles of bioinformatics are used in detection and identification of microbes; how it is used in Forensic Science for detecting biocrime attacks and how to identify and examine skeletal remains of victims after long period of time...
Studying at a university has always been very attractive to me. Not only because it will help me to become independent, but also because it will enable me to study as much as I want. I particularly look forward to studying at a university in the United Kingdom because I feel it would give me a real challenge, an adventure to remember and an opportunity to broaden my horizons beyond the Netherlands...
My ambition is to become a surgeon. From a young age I have been fascinated by the human body, especially the ever beating heart that begins life from as early as 3 months after conception and does not stop beating till the last breath...
For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by all living things. Throughout my childhood travels I have encountered many natural wonders in various parts of the world, from the giant redwood forests of California, to the rich variety of aquatic life populating the coral reefs of the Caribbean Sea, which have all greatly inspired my imagination...
Arthur C Clarke wrote in 1969 that 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that something is impossible he is very probably wrong'...
My appreciation for the way in which medicines have aided psychological and mental illnesses in our society today was one of the reasons why I chose to do Sciences at A-level. I have encountered many experiences in my life, which have truly tested my development as a teenager...
The human body has always intrigued me, its diverse mechanisms providing complex antibodies that recognize foreign organisms such as viruses and bacteria. It's these organisms that are working everyday and every night to maintain and sustain the way of life we so frequently take for granted...
At a first glance one would say that the natural world is a peaceful place, relaxing to the eye. When viewed in more depth we discover that it is, in fact, a dangerous battlefield between living organisms...
I had a passion for Biology from a young age as my grandfather used to be a Biology teacher and I really enjoyed reading and looking through his textbooks when I was a child. He is the person who first introduced me to the world of natural sciences and inspired me to further explore that field of study...
It was learning about the discovery of penicillin that first stimulated my interest in the behaviour and destruction of microbes by the action of drugs; for example antibiotics. Learning about this giant leap forward in medicine and the way it transformed the treatment of disease inspired me to pursue the study of Microbiology...
I am of Haitian descent and my country is one known for its harsh living conditions. There is a constant struggle for survival and poverty is an endemic burden. Despite numerous advances in technology, Haiti has remained the least-developed country in the Western Hemisphere...
Ever since I looked at my first organism down a microscope I have had this arge to know what else is around me that I was not able to see with my naked eyes.The fascination of looking down a microscope and discovering many small organisms living without us knowing their presence makes one want to learn more about them...
Over the past two years I have acquired a blend of diverse scientific knowledge, analytical skills and time management. My Biology and Chemistry A-levels have given me an appreciation of how molecular structures create complex biochemical systems, which in turn can give rise to changes on the macro scale of tissues and organs on which medicine works...
The human body is arguably the most complex life form that has ever existed. Studying how the body works helps us to comprehend the many processes that maintain health and find better treatment for diseases...
University has always appealed to me because of the wealth of experiences it has to offer as a student. Although I enjoy a wide variety of subjects: An A level subject that I am especially keen to study is Biology...
The human body is a masterpiece of creation. The complexity of communication between cells, intriguing defense mechanisms against disease and the beholder of the blueprint to human existence; the human body is a world in its self...
Since the beginning of my intellectually aware life, I've been seeking for a passion that would be complicated enough to hold my interest and at the same time be perspective. I can now say that I have found the science that has survived all of my dilemmas , wanderings and uncertainties - the thing that has become my ultimate passion is Biology...
Through studying A-level Applied Science my interest in science has deeply increased, recently I was under pressure to choose a course to study at university but I knew I wanted to do something in the scientific field particularly along the lines of biology and chemistry...
Throughout my education, Biology has been the subject which I have been most engaged and enthralled by. My passion for the subject has been developed alongside my knowledge and level of understanding my A-Level studies...
The biology and ecology of the world's oldest and most complex ecosystem truly fascinate me. The delicate nature of coral reefs is a particular interest of mine as they are being disrupted by our intrusive and often harmful activities such as oil spills, over fishing, coastal development and the poor buoyancy of inexperienced divers...
My curiosity grew when I saw my sister suffering from sickle cell crisis. If immediate help was not give, she would not have been able to survive, with the main help she needed was drugs. Hours later, she seems perfectly normal and that is when I asked myself, "how?" This is one of the many reasons why I want to pursue a degree in biochemistry; to study chemical processes in the body...
I can remember my childhood, playing in the garden and exploring why worms come out when it rained. With the help of my ever growing passion for learning, I have found my way into the world of biology...
Studying an academic science at university has been the ultimate ambition since turning fifteen after dissecting a heart and realising that this vital organ – just like science it self – is the core of life, as without it where would we be? I have discovered the sciences to be entirely fascinating as these subjects offer the explanations to our very survival both mentally and physically...
Although my fascination with Biology is rooted in my academic study, its seeds were planted long before. I still recall the simple childhood awe I felt travelling down the River Nile, or the exhilaration of passing through valleys of dipterocarp forests in my father's native Malaysia...
I am interested in pursuing a career in biological sciences because I am captivated by the wonders of the components of life. There upon, I desire to understand the background of problems that are formulated by biology on a molecular level, such as cancer, diseases and genetic disorders...
I wish to read biochemistry at university because I want to discover the answers to the most profound and fascinating questions about the very essence of life. Some questions are so important but, paradoxically, can be overlooked by many people, for example, why are men naturally more predisposed to genetic conditions than women? My deepening intrest in my A level subjects (and my frustration at the narrowness of the specifications) confirmed my belief that biochemistry is the subject I have to carry forward...
What I love about science is that it has yet to offer the 'best' way for anything. Man will always find ways to do things better than before, quote: "Wherever the knowledge takes us, it will empower us to do more...
Throughout countless centuries, great thinkers and philosophers have used Mathematics and logic to try and comprehend their surroundings using the limited resources and information available to them. In my opinion, ‘science’ has existed since those humble beginnings but was hampered by the ignorance or dogma of others...
I do not have to look far to find the source of my love of science. Just glancing around my living room my eyes fall upon a whole host of fascinating different organisms, seen and unseen they create a brilliant miniature ecosystem with billions of tiny processes and reactions for me to sit and unpick...
Since the University of Hong Kong is the oldest university in Hong Kong, HKU provides a comprehensive, research-intensive education. Internationally renowned teachers, first- rate libraries, state-of-the-art equipment and facilities are attracted me...
Biology is a subject which fills me with wonder and awe but it was not until I started college to continue my studies that I was introduced to the vast complexity of our world. Realising intricate mechanisms are involved in what I had thought to be simple parts of life amazed me, inspiring me to want to learn as much as I could...
The possibilities of biotechnology first intrigued me when I watched Jurassic park. I ran around my house asking if it was possible to bring back dinosaurs, and spent the rest of my childhood imagining that it was...
“Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.” -Ralph Emerson For centuries, mankind has pushed the boundaries of scientific knowledge, uncovering the secrets of our very existence; never before has a species known so much about its biological makeup...
Every decision I have made in the last four years has been fuelled by the one goal of pursuing my interest in Biology. I have always been a keen Biologist, wanting to know how insects move, why some trees drop their leaves every autumn and how my heart beats every second of the day...
Why and How? I believe these are the two most important question words as they express mankind’s unquenchable thirst for knowledge, and they have lain the foundation of sciences and have helped us find answers and solutions to problems throughout history from the domestication of fire to Darwin’s theory of evolution, to landing on the moon and so on...
"Eureka!" This joyful exclamation sums up my satisfaction when I have finally solved an intractable problem. I frequently experience such "eureka" moments in my passionate exploration of science. My curiosity drives me to immerse myself in studying many scientific fields; which is why I believe the Natural Sciences course will best suit my abilities and interests...
When I was in primary school I would take pens apart to put them back together, so that I could see how every small piece fits together to create a whole working object, and as I furthered my education my focus shifted to the w orld around me...
With numbers of threatened species at its highest, the natural world needs help. The thought of being able to help animals is a dream of mine. I want to educate on how we can tackle the threats that animals are faced with...
DNA is like a computer programme but far far more advanced than any software ever created” - Bill Gates, the mastermind behind Microsoft himself admits the intricacy of such a molecule. Geneticists working alongside innovative technology have created a huge impact on the modern world...
Growing up in a family involved in the field of public health means I have been surrounded by science from a very early age. I have gradually come to the point where biological sciences is now a huge passion of mine and I would love to pursue it as a career...
The living world will never cease to amaze me. From the workings of a human cell to the balance of a complex ecosystem, I find the lives of organisms fascinating and this has compelled me to pursue a degree in biology...
It all started with the dinosaurs. Like many children, I was fascinated by them. Unlike many children however, I was not content with just knowing their names. I wanted to learn more about their behaviour, form and function, habitats, and evolution...
la piezoelettricità è una proprietà di alcuni cristalli di generare una differenza di potenziale elettrico in risposta ad uno stress meccanico o viceversa di fornire un movimento meccanico in presenza di un potenziale elettrico...
At age fourteen, the loss of my father certainly changed my demeanor on life. I thought college was an opportunity that I would not be able to pursue. My mother's coping with the loss of her high school sweetheart took her away from her time with her kids...
The cell, the building block of all life, has always fascinated me. The way everything that lives stems from a phenomenon so tiny it can not be seen by the naked eye is the main point driving my curiosity...
My zeal for biology was consolidated during my pursuance of the Molecular Biotechnology Diploma in Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP). The program exposed me thoroughly to the Life Sciences as it required me to carry out numerous independent studies and complete a semester of intense research projects...
The world of biology has always been intriguing to me, wanting to explore the depths of logic and reasons behind the various phenomenon that occurs in our body. The complexity, the awe, the wonder of the occurrence of various processes has never failed to pull me towards the world of biology, one of the pillars of science...
There are some lucky people in this world who know exactly what they want to do from a very young age. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. In fact it took me a while to find what I was truly interested in...
Since the age of 8, spending many hours in the fields of Crete in observing ants in their anthills, I came upon the realization that animals have a code of communication, just like humans. I witnessed the ants communicate, collaborate and confront any obstacles collectively...
We owe everything as we know it to the very molecules which we are composed of. To me, the ability of organisms to survive through different uses of such molecules is the beauty of what nature itself is...
Looking at moth wings under my microscope, or testing conductivity using a plasma ball, may not be exactly cutting-edge research, but is nonetheless a fascinating experience. I cannot express clearly enough my passion for the sciences- in particular, biology...
I like to think, so the biological mechanisms behind thought intrigue me: the sociobiological consequences of heredity, whether our beings are just genetically pre-empted; are we truly free thinkers when our behaviour is driven by such fundamental biological principles? The omnipresence of biology in our daily life, from the genetic to the botanical, is fascinating, and I want to comprehend our living world through my degree...
My parents have always emphasized the importance of protecting and valuing the nature around us, and as I grow older, I begin to understand and respect their decision more and more. Being outside always brings me a sense of happiness that no other activity can, and with frightening predictions about the future of our planet, protecting the environment is a cause that is very important to me, which is why I decided to dedicate myself natural sciences in my future...
From a micro-scale to the global population, the disciplines of biology have endless applications that I have familiarised myself with during my time in academia. The emerging field of quantum biology is something that has piqued my interest greatly and unified aspects of maths and chemistry to an astounding level, how ATP-consuming kinesins rely on Brownian motion to move, and how light can function as both a particle and a wave in biological systems...
Conservation ecology is the accumulation of everything that sparked enthusiasm in me during my childhood. A large part of my upbringing was based around the natural world: curiosity and kindness towards living things is a principle I was taught and have carried with me to the present day...
“But why though?” A question I always find myself asking when trying to understand biological processes. Yet, I am always disappointed by the reply. “That is just how it is” or “you will learn about it in the future” does not really satisfy my insatiable curiosity...
I see biology as a limitless and very purposeful science. What I love most about it is the ability to understand and explain why things are the way they are all around me; from individual cells to whole ecosystems, it excites me to learn about all the intricacies behind them...

Related resources

Getting Into Ecology

Discover more about getting into an ecology career with our in-depth guide.

Find out more

UCAS Tariff Points Explained

Find out what UCAS points are and why they are important for your university application.

Find out more

A Level Results Day

We help you through A level results day with our in-depth guide.

Find out more

Clearing Guide

Discover how Clearing works and how to secure a place at university this autumn.

Find out more