Biological Sciences/Genetics Personal Statement Example

DNA is like a computer programme but far far more advanced than any software ever created” - Bill Gates, the mastermind behind Microsoft himself admits the intricacy of such a molecule. Geneticists working alongside innovative technology have created a huge impact on the modern world.

Starting with four chemicals and digital codes from DNA sequencing now results in one of the most astonishing creations ever, the ability to synthesize life. The development of synthetic bacteria provides future possibilities of an alternative for fossil fuels through bioremediation, a perfect solution for biotechnology companies as well as the energy industry.

I find it compelling that within the field of genetic research such discoveries made by humankind can possibly refine the natural world.

I discovered my enthusiasm for Biology, especially human genetics, during IGCSE. I was intrigued by the idea that a simple alignment of four alphabet letters could construct such complexity as that found in the human body. Reading ‘Genes and Cloning’ by Jess Buxton and Jon Turney and ‘Darwin’s Island’ by Steve Jones captivated my attention of the individuality of different qualities each gene possesses, and how very small mutations in the DNA can be responsible for genetic diseases such as Neurofibromatosis, Huntington’s disease and Duchenne’s multiple sclerosis.

I believe within the near future, more great discoveries are yet to come, as I consider the prospects of cancer treatment involving the use of RNA interference which has become the centre of attention in the scientific world, with extensive research taking place within industry.

During my work experience, I had the opportunity to visit the Ministry of Public Health in Bangkok where I toured the department of Medical Sciences. I was able to observe technicians operating both the scanning electron microscope and transmission electron microscope where samples of bacteria and moths were being examined.

I particularly enjoyed my visit at the Medical Biotechnology centre where, accompanied by a geneticist, I observed the extraction of DNA from a blood sample for a prenatal DNA test. This would then identify any gene abnormalities that could result in birth defects such as Down syndrome.

Along with laboratory experience, I was permitted to enter observation rooms during patient examinations at a hospital and witness how blood samples were obtained by doctors to be subsequently processed in the Science Laboratories behind the scenes. With these experiences, I believe I have a wider insight into the basic procedures and preparations within the laboratory.

My personal achievements include completing the Duke of Edinburgh Silver award and recently a comprehensive First aid course. These activities have given me the chance to show initiative and perseverance in the face of adversity in difficult circumstances.

I was a member of Amnesty International, which has developed my communication skills during discussions of recent issues concerning human rights within Thailand and I have enjoyed the challenge of promoting such issues to younger students who have less awareness of the work of Amnesty.

My personal hobby has been Art, in which nature has inspired me to create artworks in my additional time such as batik, carving and designing textiles, teaching me patience and giving me means relax.

From the medical industry to energy industry, gene technology has played a major role in the world in which we live.

I am an independent learner who always strives to motivate myself in order to develop my skills further. My goal is to excel within the field of Genetics and make a significant contribution to this field. I am excited about the opportunity to achieve my goal studying at university in the UK.

DNA is like a computer programme but far far more advanced than any software ever created” - Bill Gates, the mastermind behind Microsoft himself admits the intricacy of such a molecule. Geneticists working alongside innovative technology have created a huge impact on the modern world. Starting with four chemicals and digital codes from DNA sequencing now results in one of the most astonishing creations ever, the ability to synthesize life. The development of synthetic bacteria provides future possibilities of an alternative for fossil fuels through bioremediation, a perfect solution for biotechnology companies as well as the energy industry. I find it compelling that within the field of genetic research such discoveries made by humankind can possibly refine the natural world...