Biology Personal Statement Example 11

University has always appealed to me because of the wealth of experiences it has to offer as a student. Although I enjoy Computing and Chemistry: two of my 'A level' subjects, I am especially keen to study Biology and Psychology. For me, the main appeal of the course lies in the variety of topics that will be covered. The aspects of Biology I find particularly interesting are neuroscience and how the immune system functions and responds. In Psychology, I am very interested in what makes people unique and how different factors shape our personality.

I have had work placement in providing a service in a take away restaurant. In doing so, I was responsible for customer care and also responding to complaints. I have learned new skills with team work, helping and managing process and this also enabled me to interact with different cultures and learning new communication skills in both Cantonese and mandarin.

Throughout my schooling I have been closely involved in charity work.

Being sponsored to speak French for a day proved to be one of my most innovative (and amusing!) methods of raising money. Attending a recent residential trip to Venice, Italy has further broadened my horizons, as I feel have gained great communicational skills and experiences of which I have never thought to encounter.

I have a variety of hobbies outside school. When time allows, I find playing the keyboard and creative writing, such as poetry, a change from my studies. I enjoy using computers as a hobby and to broaden the skills I have gained from my computing course. My other pursuits include more physical activities such as attending the gym regularly and cycling.

At present, I am putting most of my effort into achieving the best grades in my A Levels to allow me to reach the next target in my education. I understand that university life will be very challenging, but I am confident that it will give me the best chance to achieve my potential, and lead the way forward to a successful career.

Statement rating:*

its ok

its ok

it sounds very simular to the

it sounds very simular to the previous one i read

Its good but I think you need

Its good but I think you need more biology in there seeing as that is the what you're applying for.

By guest at 20/11/2009

it sound ok.

By guest at 20/11/2009

it sound ok.

By guest at 20/11/2009

it sound ok.

By guest at 20/11/2009

it sound ok.

Could be a lot better

You don't really state much about why you want to study Biology at University. Your whole application should revolve around it. You also spend way too much time and space talking about your extra curricular activities and you don't fully relate them back to Biology. You've also only used up less than half of the characters you're allowed to use. Trust me, I checked when I saw how ridiculously short it was. It probably isn't much use saying all this now, as you may or may not have gotten offers and into a University already.

First things first, the

First things first, the grammar and phrasing of this statement needs looked at. Any university course will require you to have decent literacy skills, and any personal statement that is lacking in this department will be automatically rejected, So your personal statement should refelect your ability and convince the admissions tutor that you are worth considering.

The first sentence of your statement should catch the attention of the reader and intruige them. Talking about wanting the student experience is not going to do that, instead it's going to make it look like your first priority is having a good social life, rather than being enthusiastic about the course. Following it up with how you like other subjects isn't a great idea either, the admissions tutor isn't particularly interesed in how much you like other subjects, they want to know how much you like biology, and why you want to study it.

Speaking of which, it's important to explain why you're interested in biology. A short sentence about one aspect you find interesting is not enough Why does that aspect interest you? What else would you like to find out?

At least two thirds of your personal statement should relate to the course you want to study. So when you're talking about your work experience and language skills, highlight the skills you've learnt from them and how they tie into studying biology.

And lastly don't say that you're 'putting most of my effort into achieving the best grades in my A Levels', you really shouldn't have to state that. The admissions tutor will already assume you're working as hard as you can, and if you want to illustrate that, use some examples that prove it, don't just say 'I work hard'.