Speech and Language Therapy University Interview Questions
There are many different questions you may be asked at your Speech and Language Therapy university interview, so we've provided a comprehensive list of those commonly asked by nursing admissions tutors at UK universities.
As well as the example questions below, you can find further help in our University Interviews Guide.
Background & motivation
- Tell us about yourself.
- Talk us through your personal statement.
- Why do you want to be a Speech and Language Therapist?
- What have you done to prepare yourself for a career in SLT?
- What strengths do you have that will help you deal with all the work involved?
- What do you think a Speech and Language Therapist does?
- What interests you most about Speech Therapy and why?
- What are you looking forward to most about becoming a Speech and Language Therapist?
- How do you think Speech and Language Therapy differs from other health professions?
- If you were to become a therapist, how would you like your patients to describe you and why?
- How do you know whether you really do want to become a language therapist?
- Do you have any life experiences that you think may help your career in speech therapy?
- What skills do you have to become a speech and language therapist?
- What qualities do you think make a good speech therapist?
- Discuss a time when you had to convey an important message to someone - describe how you did this and what the end result was.
- How do you cope with stress?
- How do you manage your time?
Knowledge & work experience
- What is the role of a speech and language therapist?
- What is the most demanding aspect of the study programme, and how would you overcome this?
- Where does speech and language therapy take place?
- What do you know about current healthcare issues in the media?
- What challenges affect healthcare in the UK?
- What might a typical day involve for a speech and language therapist?
- What can you tell us about the NHS Values?
- What problems with spoken and written language might you be dealing with as a speech therapist?
- What sort of problems can a therapist expect to treat?
- What might your strategies include?
- What are the benefits of speech therapy?
- Tell us about your work experience - what did you learn from it and what did you enjoy?
- Were there any aspects of your work experience you didn't like?
- Give us an example of when you had to adapt your communication skills?
Teamwork & communication
- What is teamwork and why is it important in speech therapy?
- Why is communication vital in speech andlanguage therapy?
- Give us an example of when you worked as part of a team?
- Can you think of a team situation where your communication skills have been essential? Tell us more about the situation and how you contributed.
- Tell us about a group activity you have organised. What went well and what went badly? What did you learn from it?
- What have you learned about yourself and successful team-working?
- Who do you think will be the most important people you will work with as a speech and language therapist?
- Describe a time when you had to lead a team of people?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of being in a team? Do you believe teams need leaders?
- Do you think humour can help a team? Give an example.
Career plans & your future
- Do you have any career aspirations?
- How will university benefit your future?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years' time?
- If you had to take a gap year, what would you do?