Osteopathy Personal Statement Example

I am interested in Osteopathy because it's about applying a practical skill; my work experience and visits to open days confirm this impression. It’s a science degree involving close work with patients, and the way it works with the body’s natural healing abilities seems harmonious.

Osteopathy also helps people gain a better quality of life and can yield direct results, while providing an interesting career and varied working day for me, requiring case history assessment as well as practical work with the patient; the opportunities for public, private and self employed practice also attract me to the profession. I think that I am suitable for the course because I've always been scientifically inclined and, as I’ve discovered from my part time job, work well with customers when one to one. In addition I have various interests that demonstrate my manual dexterity; sewing, flute and guitar playing, and drawing being among them.

I have already undertaken some work experience with NAME at CLINIC NAME in TOWN; I was intrigued to find out how different vertebrae influence certain areas of the body, and how Osteopathy dips into other methods of healing by demonstrating dry needling. I am hoping to undertake further placements with a clinic in ANOTHER TOWN and another group of Osteopaths in CITY, and planning to get a treatment or biomechanical assessment myself to get the patient’s view of the practice.

I understand Osteopathy to be a holistic science, drawing from nutrition and psychology to make a precise conclusion. Biology is my easiest subject to link to Osteopathy; giving me understanding of anatomy, nutrition, and how organs work, among other things, enhanced by my subscription to Biological Sciences Review and reading up on basic psychology. English could also be beneficial for discussing and understanding the patients’ problems and keeping them relaxed during their treatment. The ultimate opportunity to eventually set up my own clinic really inspires me to work for this.

Other than my academic achievements I have also sought to give something back to the school. I've always had an interest in sciences - the science fairs I've done are a good example of this. I worked with Year 2s in January and November 2011; and two schools for students with learning disabilities in July. Not only have they given me the chance to teach myself how to explain sciences to others; particularly those with limited knowledge of science, but they've given me a better understanding of young people and adapt my behaviour to maximise the benefit of those with psychological and/or physical disabilities.

In 2009 I started my Duke of Edinburgh bronze award. The most beneficial part of the award apart from the expedition itself was the six months (which became eleven) that I worked in a local and recently established charity shop. I instantly got on well with the manager, and we worked very well as a team, working to improve the shop as well as sell the goods. I developed a distanced and professional acquaintance with the more regular customers and my customer service skills quickly escalated. In year 12 I was a prefect, a position that involves anything from supervising the canteen to talking to WWII veterans on Remembrance Day.

Outside of school, my biggest hobby is photography; I’ve been interested in it since I joined the Year 2 photography club, but I’ve been pursuing it more adamantly since my mother bought a DSLR about three years ago. I used my own photography in my Art GCSE and have since used it to make up to myself the lack of art that I now do at school. In the bigger picture, Osteopathy wouldn't just be a skill for work, it would be a career to keep me on my toes, help me heal my loved ones and become more in tune with the human body.

This personal statement was written by freyahh for application in 2012.

freyahh's university choices
British School of Osteopathy
British College of Osteopathic Medicine

World Osteopathy Day

June 22nd is the World Osteopathy Day. To celebrate this wonderful day, National University of Medical Sciences (www.numss.com) and National Academy of Osteopathy (www.nationalacademyofosteopathy.com) are offering $1,340,000 in scholarships to 200 students worldwide to study osteopathy.
NAO offers a diploma program in osteopathy and NUMSS offers 8 degree programs (BSc, MA, MSc, PhD & DO) in osteopathy.
Our goal is to expand osteopathy to every corner of the world so patients everywhere could have access to this amazing healthcare.
I would appreciate if you could share the news about these scholarships with friends.
Thank You.
Dr Shahin Pourgol
President
National University of Medical Sciences
www.pourgol.com

OHA Accepts NAO as an Afiiliate Member

I am glad to announce that National Academy of Osteopathy is now an affiliate member of the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA). This is a great achievement as it elevates the osteopathic manual practice profession to a new level.

Dr Shahin Pourgol
President
National Academy of Osteopathy
National University of Medical Sciences
www.numss.com