Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

Media Personal Statement

From studying for my GCSE’s it has always been an ambition of mine to go to university to study a course that I love and believe in. I have looked into all areas that had taken an interest to me. I have a creative flare and enjoy all things that involve digital design through the web and applications ever since early secondary school.

Working part-time on a weekend in retail has taught me many skills. These include teamwork, communication and working to defined time scales.

Through retail, I have developed my skills in listening and responding with product combinations specifically for a customer’s needs – a skill that helps build my design proposals and briefs. It is also a skill I hope to bring with me through my studies.

I run a media and web based business, which has developed my skills in the media industry, especially the processes that are involved in designing and implementing a customer’s order.

This has enabled me to communicate more professionally with my clients. I have dealt with a variety of clients. I have produced a website for a local charity. I am working on a business website, which has had an investment back from Dragons Den.

During my school work experience, I went to find out about local politics by working with the Gloucestershire Conservative Party. I worked in the admin office and did a two day stop at my Local City Council, I shadowed our City Council Leader for those two days.

Also during my time there I helped during a local by-election which involved marketing and designing leaflets. Also Baroness Warsi, made a visit in which I was asked to produce the tickets and invites for.

In college, I have learnt to adapt well to different types of design. I have studied two digital graphics units and also an animation unit. I have really enjoyed the graphics unit with achieving distinctions with my creativity and flare. But I have studied film and media whilst being in the college business.

It has made a huge impact to me but I know what would be best suited for me. With some modules being about the industries, graphic and animation design. I enjoy what I do in college, but with my creative mind, I wish to branch into that area more.

Also in college I have taken on the role of a Learner Voice Rep for the Academic Studies area, whilst I am in the computing department. I am very committed to conveying the views to the head of schools and the cross college meetings. This is where we discuss the student’s views and solutions to what they want. I am also involved in the in-house college design agency, where I have worked with clients in which include some graphics and some film based.

Outside of college, I am an enthusiastic table tennis player, in which I play in my local league. I am also the area chairman for Conservative Future.

I use the most up to date software Adobe Suites and 3D rendering software. I have also used equipment that can benefit me in my studies form video cameras to SLR cameras, even tablets. I use cross platforms varying from MacOSX, Microsoft Windows and Linux.

I am also currently the Project Manager for my team of people where we are entering in a competition with the Rotary Club. In which we review their websites and make recommendations of improvement. This is in which I deal with the clients and produce professional and accurate documents. Whilst communicating either via email, face-to-face or telephone.

University will teach me so many new ideas and techniques that I can improve and thrive in. I have so much enthusiasm, in which I believe I could bring to the course.

With my passion and my experience I believe I could succeed in this course I have applied for. I have always been committed to all my work that I produce, I take time and care with planning the briefs and final designs and making it live. Whether at college or work it is a priority.

Aiming for that end result is what motivates me; this gives me determination to succeed.

Year applied: 
2012
Subject: 
Media