Business/Human Resources Personal Statement Example

In a turbulent economic and social climate, business remains of core importance. It is a crucial element of our lives, working as a catalyst for innovation, which is why I wish to study it at undergraduate level.
My interest in business was evident from an early age. At 13 I established a jewellery business with a friend; the venture lasted for over two years and taught me about the everyday obstacles that a firm can encounter. My participation in both the Young Enterprise and Young Entrepreneur projects further stoked my enthusiasm, and during these programmes I was able to demonstrate strong leadership qualities, as well as excellent communication and creative skills when solving problems.
One of my passions in life is for people; I believe that humans are the ultimate resource, and that effective management of employees can aid a firm to reach its full potential. What would be the point of investing millions in extension strategies such as product and market development, if those selling the goods were lacking motivation? On a recent work experience placement at Jarrolds department store I was able to obtain several days in the Human Resource department; my responsibilities included phone handling, assisting customers and helping with the recruitment and selection process. This gave me a realistic view of a modern HR department, and also demonstrated which techniques improved the efficiency of the workers. During this placement I also attained some experience within the marketing department; this involved large amounts of proof reading, as well as aiding with advertising discussions. This enabled me to show initiative when formulating ideas, as well as display creative ability. My experience in the marketing department also led me to understand why language is so crucial in terms of advertising, and how well phrased promotion can infact aid to stimulate demand.
Prior to this I was also accepted for work experience at Durrants, a local estate agent; a much smaller company compared to Jarrolds department store, where my focus was around sales. I thoroughly enjoyed this placement, as the property market is an area that has always been of interest to me. Currently I also assist with the accounts at Apercu, a local media company; this involves controlling sales and expenditure spreadsheets, as well as handling receipts and queries.
One of the strongest reasons I wish to study business is that it is an exciting and constantly evolving industry; nothing stays the same, which is why I always keep up with business related publications. I take pleasure in reading the independent financial section, and have also thoroughly enjoyed “Understanding Organisations” by Charles Handy. This provided me with explanations of theories to the running of a successful and sustainable business, for example his explanation of the motivation to work points out it is far more complex than simply the desire to earn money.
In my spare time I am a keen musician; I play Alto Saxophone and Piano and have achieved grade four on both, passing with merit each time. I am also an avid reader, my favourite authors being Thomas Hardy and Sebastian Faulkes, and feel that literature improves my analytical ability. I have participated in both bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh’s award, and feel that this has strengthened my leadership qualities, whilst also improving my mentality when working in a team.
Through all of these experiences, I feel I have obtained a sufficient grounding in many of the areas of business, and now hope to build upon them. I believe that university will offer me an excellent opportunity to further my knowledge of business as a whole, and hopefully obtain employment with a well respected organisation in the future.

This personal statement was written by swbp for application in 2011.

swbp's university choices
University of Sussex
University of Leicester
The University of Sheffield
Queen Mary, University of London
Royal Holloway