Biomedical Sciences Personal Statement Example 40

The perfection of human anatomy is incredible. I attended an Advance Medicine Summer School at Birkbeck, University of London where I realised that there are many abnormalities that occur in the complex human body. This Summer School induced the excitement of doing a medical related degree at university. It gave me an insight on various important aspects of medicine such as Genetics, Oncology, Paediatrics and Surgical Skills. In addition to this, we investigated case studies and were asked to present a differential diagnosis for the patient's symptoms, as well as, suggestions for treatment for the patient. I have been visiting The Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition for the last two years. The latest research certainly inspires me every time. The Leafcutter ants' antibiotics to the countless uses of Gold.

I have gained many skills while studying biology, chemistry and mathematics, such as carrying out practical experiments with precaution, working in a team to complete tasks, revising for exams both through discussions and independently. The nervous system in our body caught me as it merges biology with chemistry. How does our body control the action potential in nerves and still be able to perform other functions at the same time, like the immune system in blood? I admire carrying out practicals in chemistry. Mathematics has always been my favourite subject. It has aided me with numerous abilities, for instance paying attention to detail while solving problems, developing self-confidence every time the correct answer has been achieved and also following complex reasoning. Besides studying my core subjects, I am currently on a First Aid course.

At school, I was appointed to be the head of the school council, to take forward student voice to the head teacher. Furthermore, I was a science ambassador, organising and managing the science department at events such as open evenings. Working in Orbis Consumer Products Ltd helped me differentiate between school and real life laboratories. Here I have worked and foreshadowed pharmacists, laboratory technicians, managers and quality analysts. Being an assistant at a pharmacy developed my skills such as working under pressure whilst providing customer service and operating the till. I organised medications according to their generic group. Volunteering at St James Practice further enhanced my perspective into medical careers. Here I filed out-of-hours patients' records into specialised computer programme (EMIS). During summer holidays, I got a chance to refine my communication skills at Reliable Dry-Cleaners. There I held many responsibilities, from managing the workplace alone for 12 hours to training new employees.

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins was recommended to me recently. I enjoyed reading the book as Dawkins presents evolution, which is one complex concept, in a simplified and understandable version. Furthermore, I enjoy physical exercises especially swimming and participating in sponsored walks makes me feel good. I have done 6 mile walks for Breast Cancer Research. I represented my school in inter-borough athletic competition, 1500 meters race, shot putting, long jumps and hurdles.

Biomedical sciences will help me study new substances that interest me; such as cancer biology, and working with live forms of viruses and bacteria. I want to work behind the scenes, through research and development. Either by providing new alternate diagnosis procedures and treatments which may work more effectively yet have fewer side effects compared to previous ones. In the future, I plan to carry out doctoral research and pursue a career in the field of Pathology.

The perfection of human anatomy is incredible. I attended an Advance Medicine Summer School at Birkbeck, University of London where I realised that there are many abnormalities that occur in the complex human body. This Summer School induced the excitement of doing a medical related degree at university. It gave me an insight on various important aspects of medicine such as Genetics, Oncology, Paediatrics and Surgical Skills. In addition to this, we investigated case studies and were asked to present a differential diagnosis for the patient's symptoms, as well as, suggestions for treatment for the patient. I have been visiting The Royal Society Summer Science Exhibition for the last two years. The latest research certainly inspires me every time. The Leafcutter ants' antibiotics to the countless uses of Gold....