Software Engineering Personal Statement Example 2

Computing has always been my major interest, from a young age I've always had a keen interest in programming. I started at around 10 writing small programs on an old Acorn Electron. Programming has always been my strongest subject and I would definitely say that it is the field I want to work in.

Computers are such a large part of life these days and they reach into every aspect, I would love to be a part of the development of software that makes changes to the way people work with technology.

I involved myself with a day at college showing a programming environment called "Scratch", this is a program that allows the user to visually build blocks of code to animate pictures. It shows the logic behind programming. I've always enjoyed teaching people and helping people understand computers.

I currently work in a small store close to my home, which has made me more reliable as I have to be there on time every day to make it through my first 3 months. It has also taught me to work as a team so that we can get all the jobs finished by the end of the shift. I feel I can take the skills learnt from the experience in the workplace on to my education to make sure I make the most of my opportunities.

I spend most of my time that I'm not in college or at work socialising with friends. I love to go see films with a good group of friends or just to sit and catch up on what's been going on with everyone. I enjoy playing badminton and squash as I like to have a balance between technology and physical activities.

Scuba Diving is a hobby I fell in love with straight away, and it's one that has made me more responsible as it's not just me that I have to look out for underwater but also my buddy, everything has to be done properly.

I look forward to my time at university and expanding my knowledge of computers ready for a job in the software development industry.

This personal statement was written by bgale for application in 2007.