Physics Personal Statement

Whenever the night sky is clear I take the opportunity to stargaze through my Dobsonian telescope. Once, whilst observing the Bode's Galaxy I found it fascinating how the light is said to be 11.6 million years old. What kind of theories were put together to let physicists 'confidently' say this specific number? For me it was incredible to realise that the measuring method such as 'standard candles' is built upon the relatively simple method of parallax. Not only that, this question showed me the interconnection of knowledge in physics. The luminosity equation of F=L/(4PD2) (inverse square law, power and intensity) used to find the distance is simply the byproduct of the Intensity equation. Seeing general physics being applied to astrophysics really made me appreciate the consistency and extensive applicability it offers. My summer internships reinforced this idea where I saw the application of physics in the areas of medicine and construction. This universality of knowledge produced by physics is what I value most.

I was very fortunate to witness the applications of physics beyond the classroom during my summer internships at the Champalimaud Nuclear Medicine Department (a leading cancer research centre in Europe) and the Portuguese engineering construction company Tecnovia. I saw Positron Emission Tomography (PET) being used to detect cancers and various brain related disorders. In addition, I discussed the working of PET with the team's physicist. It was really gratifying to see the knowledge I gained on Positron decay and matter-antimatter annihilation in IB Physics was useful to understand how PET works. The Tecnovia experience developed my understanding of logistical systems and the complexity of any construction project. Seeing physics being applied to save and improve people's lives motivated me to study physics at university level and positively impact the world.

In my Physics IA "How does the change of a polyethylene strip width affect the maximum tensile force it can experience?" I had to answer the question both theoretically (using equations) and practically (experiment), which showed me the link between those two aspects of physics. Physics helps us explain many natural phenomena. Mathematics is one of the most common ways of describing them. My Math IA of producing an equation to plot the concentration of a Caesium 137 in the Chernobyl cooling pond demonstrated how easily the maths could get complicated and taught me to enjoy the process of reaching the final result. In addition in 2018, 2020, 2021 I received the Bronze awards in the UKMT challenge and the Silver in 2022.

Modern scientific research is impossible without the tools provided by computer science (CS). For example, machine learning (ML) algorithms are used to analyse petabytes of data in astrophysics. In my Extended Essay in CS I evaluated two supervised ML algorithms in their ability to diagnose Parkinson's patients using a dataset from the Champalimaud Research Centre. This experience gave me greater understanding of this important tool and improved my skills in Python coding which I believe will help me in future. In CS I achieved the 2020 BEBRAS with 116 points, the 2022 BEBRAS certificate of distinction with 106 points, and 4th place in the ToPAS Lx 2022 (NOVA University Competition).

The IB Group 4 Project, my CAS project and the Bronze DofE have developed my teamworks skills. Whilst Physics, Maths and CS challenge me mentally, sports challenge me physically. Surfing, being more of an individual sport, helps me develop strong independence and persistence. Being a social and responsible person is very important for me. I enjoy helping others in school, sport and volunteering e.g. children's football training, charity collections, beach clean-ups, etc.

I am very excited at the possibility of developing my knowledge of physics at university and seeing how it can be applied to extensive real life contexts.

I am an International Baccalaureate (IB) student who studies in an international school in Portugal who applied for "Physics" in St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Lancaster, Loughborough. My predicted was 38 points with all subjects being a 6 predicted (Math AA HL, Physics HL, Comp Science HL, Econ SL, Portuguese B SL, English Lang&Lit SL) and 2 points predicted from TOK and EE (Comp Sc). In my opinion the 'internships' I did came in clutch

Offers: St Andrews - conditional 38, Edinburgh - pending, Lancaster - conditional 36 or 35 if I make it my firm choice, Glasgow - conditional 34, Loughborough - conditional 34 and 5000 pounds scholarship if I get 38.

Observations: Honestly I didn't expect to get St Andrews offer, the standard entry requirement is 38 and I thought it was highly deflated given its ranking for physics in UK (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/physics-and-astronomy). Another reason I thought it was deflated was because my Lebanese friend who had 42 predicted and also applied for Computer Science in St Andrews (38 standard entry on uni website) and got rejected (but obviously computer science is way more competitive at the moment). It is most likely my personal statement came in clutch, since I had two internships to talk about, which I believe were my main selling points. Also obviously the fact I did IB means I did lots of projects like Comp SC EE on machine learning and some Physics investigations (IA) about which I could brag about. Another possible reason for all the offers is my nationality is Russian, I asked my supervisor to talk about my disapproval of the Russian invasion in her own personal statement which might've helped. Also, perhaps the unis have some quotas on certain nationalities and there might have not been many Russian applicants this year which could've helped.

My intro could be considered a bit wacky and cliche (the telescope is actually facts tho, but that thing was expensive as fuck), but perhaps the fact that I took less standard into approach could've helped. My advice: for GODS SAKE don't start with "ever since I was little/small", because that shit is like 100 times more cliche than mine and I bet the admission team see it like in half the personal statements they read.