Music Technology Personal Statement Example 5

Music and audio technology are omnipresent in popular culture and daily life as never before, they play an essential role in the world of media that surrounds us. As a musician growing up in a time of continuous technological innovation, the relationship between music and technology is something which I find especially interesting, particularly the way in which music is used to manipulate a specific moods, feelings or emotions for a desired purpose such as in the background music of film and advertisements. This is what motivated my decision to study music/audio technology at a degree level as I really wanted to study a subject that I love and one that allows me to progress in my journey as a musician.

Performing and creating music is something in which I have been absorbed from a very young age; having a musical family inspired me to take up the violin when I was seven years old, and the fact that I’m still playing today demonstrates my enthusiasm and commitment to it. I achieved grade 7 with ABRSM on violin this year and I’m currently working towards my grade 8, I also have grade 5 in music theory. I am the current leader of the Bexley Youth Orchestra, and have performed at the Royal Festival Hall several times; an experience which not only allowed me to develop and improve as a musician, but also gave me the opportunity to observe the technical aspects of amplifying and recording different ensembles - from rock bands to full classical orchestras. Following the passing of a friend earlier in the year I have helped to organise a concert in his memory to promote awareness of mental health in young people. I also arranged a medley of his favourite songs to perform.

This lifelong interest in music led me to undertake Music Technology alongside Music at A level, and this is where I first began to develop a much deeper interest in popular styles, as well as the technological aspects of producing music. I find learning about sound manipulation and MIDI sequencing in my lessons deeply engaging, and I particularly enjoy the composing and arranging tasks as they allow me to combine the technical skills learned in these lessons with my musical creative flair. I spend most of my time outside of lessons creating and experimenting in the school studio with Cubase and Sibelius, as well as at home with Logic to further my understanding. English Literature and Classical Civilisation has also helped me to meet tight deadlines and communicate well; skills which in a studio environment working with artists are incredibly important. I received the year 12 award for music and School colours for music last year.

I am an active member of the school community as a prefect, and I have learned from this role how to handle responsibility and develop my organisation skills through helping out at events and managing crowds in the canteen. I am also heavily involved with the school music department, where I participate in the orchestra, a string chamber group and regularly perform in the school concerts. I have successfully completed the bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, which although very challenging, I also found to be enjoyable and really developed my ability to work as part of a team. I worked as a young leader at a Beaver group and a Scout group, which included first aid training. I enjoy swimming, baking, reading, listening to music, and playing the violin and piano in my free time.

I am looking forward to university life, and taking on many new challenges and activities I would otherwise never have the chance to experience. I believe that a degree in music / audio technology will equip me with the knowledge and skills to pursue a wide variety of paths in areas such as radio, television, and theatre. I’m excited about continuing my studies at university and ultimately going on into the world of work as a qualified, well rounded person.

Applied to Surrey, Hertfordshire, Bath Spa, Kingston, and Lincoln
Received 5/5 offers