Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Personal Statement Example

Learning about the evolutionary race between pathogens and their hosts in my A-level Biology lessons was fascinating and led me to complete a masterclass in Communicable Diseases Epidemiology, Intervention & Prevention offered by Imperial College London. By understanding the constantly mutating nature of pathogens, I realised how important it is for doctors to be adaptable with treatment plans when faced with the ever-evolving landscape of diseases. The significance of this skill was further emphasised during my work experience in India when I witnessed a misdiagnosis. Initially diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a patient's diagnosis shifted to Guillain-Barré Syndrome after cerebrospinal fluid analysis. Watching the intensive care team adjust the patient's treatment plan to align with the new diagnosis made the role of adaptability in healthcare strikingly prevalent. Seeking to cultivate my adaptability, I completed an intensive training program to earn my Basic Life Support certification. Whether it was responding to a sudden cardiac arrest or administering CPR, being put in critical situations has developed my capacity to handle dynamic circumstances effectively, honing my adaptability skills.

Being selected as the recipient of a 100% scholarship to the University of California, Irvine's Summer Surgery Program from a pool of over 500 students, enabled me to immerse myself in advanced medical research and innovation. Operating on a kidney (bell pepper) to remove kidney stones (bell pepper seeds) by utilising an endoscope made me reflect on the significance of continually developing medical technology. Not long ago, this procedure required large incisions leading to a lengthy recovery. However, as I operated through a penny-sized hole, I couldn't help but marvel at the progress that has been made in this field. In this environment of constant innovation, I was inspired to channel my creativity into a research project. Observing a 6-year-old girl diagnosed with Hydrocephalus undergoing her third ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunt replacement surgery left me questioning the necessity of subjecting a child to major brain surgeries, solely because they had outgrown their existing shunt. To find a solution to this, I carried out extensive research surrounding the biomechanics of CSF dynamics and the engineering principles behind shunts. By coming up with the concept of a telescoping shunt that grows with the patient's brain, the need for repeated major interventions was eliminated. It became evident that by pushing the boundaries of existing technologies, the treatment of patients, like the 6-year-old girl I had observed, can be drastically improved.

Listening to the neurosurgeon talk about the ability of the brain to adapt itself around the replaced VP shunt was intriguing and led me to read "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doige. Gaining insight into the brain's adaptability in the context of learning and skill development inspired me to explore how neuroplasticity can be leveraged to treat neurodiverse individuals. I decided to base my Global Social Leaders project around neurodiversity through which I started my own podcast hosting various guests including a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Malik Abdul, to discuss how interventions are tailored to suit the unique cognitive profile of each individual. For instance, for a child with autism, incorporating visual and sensory aids into learning to rewire neural pathways. Looking at healthcare through this holistic viewpoint made me realise the importance of patient-centred care to achieve the best treatment outcomes and I hope to implement these principles in my own medical practice.

My diverse experiences have revealed the defining qualities of a remarkable doctor and my desire to exemplify these traits has never been stronger. With cutting-edge technology at my disposal during my university studies, I am excited to contribute to the ever evolving world of medicine.

After quite a lot of drafts, heres what I came up with :) I applied to both Medicine and Biomedical sciences so had to mention bits and bobs from both sides. I would love to hear your opinion on it!