Chemical Engineering Personal Statement Example (Postgraduate )

I have always enjoyed studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and I would like the opportunity to continue this study.

Chemical Engineering appeals to me because of the challenges involved in the application of scientific theory to practical, real world problems such as how to deal with nuclear waste.

I particularly look forward to studying fluid dynamics as I was introduced to this during the Engineering Education Scheme (EES). I am aware that in today’s world chemical engineering has an increasingly important role across a wide range of industries from pharmaceuticals to petrochemicals.

The broad range of career paths, and the opportunity to contribute to society through technological innovation, is for me, one of the main attractions of chemical engineering.

I have applied to take part in the Year In Industry scheme during which I hope to gain practical experience, as well as greater maturity enabling me to go into my degree course with improved skills and broader experience.

I also hope to study e-learning courses on project management and presentation skills run by the IChemE. In Year 12 I took part in the EES, which improved my understanding and skills in team working, time management, and report writing, as well as visual and oral presentation.

Throughout the course of the project the team had to frequently correspond with mentors in industry and academia and this experience has broadened my appreciation of practice and application in a real life situation. In July I attended a week-long ‘Into Engineering’ seminar run by REACT Engineering.

Working in two teams, we were given a design exercise based upon a typical decommissioning project.

I also attended a Headstart course at Newcastle University, which I thoroughly enjoyed. One of the main activities was to design, manufacture and test a small crane. I found both of these experiences very challenging, as we were given only limited time so we had to prioritise our tasks and carefully plan our work.

This year a fellow student and I were awarded £500 by the European Scholarship Prize to fund a visit to Prague to do research for our A-level History coursework.

I gained an understanding of the city’s culture and history and further developed my independence.

During the summer I represented my school on a Connexions review of a government white paper on 14-19 education. I gained an insight into the government’s proposals and learned a lot about working with different groups of people.

Last year I was part of the editorial team for the school magazine. I wrote a number of articles and I was responsible for ensuring that staff contributions were ready for the deadline.

I also enjoy participating in a range of sports and have represented the school at football and cricket, which has further enhanced my team working skills.

In my spare time I am working towards my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award. In September I completed a 4-day expedition in the Lake District, which tested my endurance but gave me a great sense of achievement.

As part of the award I have been helping at the local youth café once a week, which I am really enjoying as it gives me the chance to meet new people.

I also enjoy reading, particularly books on physics and Russian history. I am really interested in computers and I am currently trying to configure a Linux based file and print server for my home network.