Law Personal Statement Example 91

“At his best man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.” We as individuals are unable to develop and expand our minds on an intellectual level if we are unfamiliar with the boundaries and limitations to which our society is governed, knowing one’s limitations is often the first step to self-actualisation.

Law forms the basis of society, however many underestimate its importance as the question of “right or wrong?” arises in everyday life. Law provides an answer to that question bringing together, moral, philosophical and social issues into an analytical form to reach a conclusion.

My desire to study law is based on answering that question, however my interest in the subject has been long standing. Coming from a business oriented background I have been fortunate enough to witness first-hand the effects law can have on the day-to-day running of a company and its impact on countries overseas.

One of which is Pakistan, a country torn by war and on the brink of economic deprivation. During my stay I was able to participate in the Azadi Marches on behalf of the Tehreek-e-Insaf party.

My involvement allowed me to incorporate a wide variety of expertise and demonstrate them in the appropriate manner, in order to resolve conflict within neighbouring communities on a micro economic level. It was my time here that provided me with an insight into the repercussions of a nation following a collapse in the legal system.

In any vocation there are two aspects which must be harnessed for a person to excel in a particular field; one of these is conceptual whilst the other is practical. It is important to be able to apply the theoretical knowledge we learn to a practical environment in order to make full use of one’s education.

My inquisitive nature encouraged me to delve into the more practical side of law in an attempt to improve my understanding. Working in a legal environment has done just exactly that. Having spent time working in Dubai, I have been introduced to an entirely new judicial system compromising of federal, local and Sharia’h law.

During my time here I looked to capitalise on this exciting opportunity by attending the DIFC courts (an independent common law judiciary with jurisdiction over civil and commercial disputes). This experience provided me with the opportunity to draft various legal documents, shadow solicitors and take an active role in client consultations.

Throughout my time in education I felt it was only right to contribute, often asking myself what I could bring to the table. At school I served as the class representative and member on the student council where I played an active role in my school’s welfare, responsibilities and performance.

I was also a peer mentor, often helping new students to find their feet in the transition from secondary school to sixth form. These roles have helped me to develop communication and leadership skills, which are beneficial when studying a law degree.

In addition to this, I have experience in public speaking; this is exemplified by the privilege I have had of becoming Head Boy. As part of this role I gave many speeches on key topical issues our school was faced with. This responsibility taught me more about management and working with people, as well as developing my confidence and ability to work under pressure.

I am ready to embrace the academic challenge law has to offer. It has taken a significant degree of sustained commitment and dedication to get to where I am currently, and where I hope to be in the future. Boundaries will have to be raised; limits will need to be pushed and potential achieved. I believe this must start with a place at your prestigious and reputable institution.