Share this page StumbleUpon Twitter RSS Facebook

Law Personal Statement

"If exams were spoken you would pass with flying colors" this is the very statement that
fuelled my desire to read Law at degree level. My ambition to read Law can be traced back to
my childhood as I sat watching lawyers helping people in need. The image of a client smiling
at their lawyer's hard work is imprinted in my mind. The thirst to help people further stems
my desire to read Law. To me, law is about helping people in need whether serving justice in a
court room or as simple as helping someone buy a home.

I have recently engrossed myself in the likes of "Learning the Law" by Williams, and "The Law
Machine" by Berlins and Dyer. These have provided me with an insight into the workings of the
UK and US legal systems. Further they have raised my awareness of how far ethics and morality
are entwined within the legal system. An area of interest is the death penalty which still
exists in the US, the ethics and morals surrounding this law are rather controversial and it
is this controversy which makes the reading of Law such a great attraction. I believe that my
passion and interest in reading law holds me in good stead to be an engaged and successful law
student.

My time in education to date has instilled and developed in me the skills necessary to read
Law at a higher level. Being a current member of the school debating club further contributed
to my confidence in arguing cases with efficiency and potency. Membership in the debating club
requires researching information, highlighting the vital and controversial issues, structuring
my understanding in a logical way, and delivering an argument in a coherent manner. I am also
currently a prefect at the college, so I am instilled in almost every aspect of college life
and always being read to give a helping hand at events. These skills mirror the skills needed
of a Law student.

My choice of subjects at AS and A level have further developed my academic skills. The study
of Psychology and Religious Education has enhanced my ability to question and analyse
critically the world in which we live. A key skill required of law student as it is vital that
a lawyer is able to critically evaluate situations in order to understand the facts of a given
case and how this may be interpreted by others. The study of English has developed my literacy
skills further, being able to contrast texts, structure arguments and produce high quality
essays. A further skill required of a lawyer, as a lawyer must be able to present his points
coherently both verbally and through written work. Reading Law has provided a sound insight
into the demands of reading Law at a higher level. The course to date has given me knowledge
of how the English Legal System operates, the key figures involved in the system and how to
analyse laws and apply them to given facts.

I possess personal qualities that I believe will encourage me to pursue a successful career in
the Legal System. I have a natural drive to help people; this can be seen from my willingness
to help younger students with their reading, and peers with law essays and exam preparations.
My non-academic interests scope from exercising, star gazing/astronomy and reading classic
novels by authors such as Charles Dickens and Emily Bronte.

Having the resilience to cope, I believe I will be a successful woman for this emerging
generation in the Law. As I feel that my accomplishments will be able to benefit the lives of
others if I am given the chance to study Law at university level. Thankyou for taking your
time to consider me.

This personal statement was written by iluvorangutans for application in 2011.

iluvorangutans's university choices
University of Westminster
School of Oriental and African Studies
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Greenwich
City University

Statement rating:*****

this is a pretty good

this is a pretty good statement, it should get you into queen mary, good luck!

which universities offered

which universities offered you a place?

IyfuahSPuc

Thank you for your blog.Really thank you! Awesome.

acwceabKd

I am so grateful for your article.Much thanks again. Awesome.