Law Personal Statement Example (International Student)

After witnessing human rights infringements, widespread poverty, economic dependence on advanced states, unstable governments, high rates of illiteracy, and disease that plague all third world countries, including my own, while volunteering at a local nonprofit, Projeto Amar, that works to provide the basic needs for low income children and teens, to provide education, combat preventable diseases and break the cycle of poverty, I became inspired to study law.

At Projeto Amar, I volunteered as a translator and interpreter, especially with groups of American volunteers, who came to visit and help building and maintaining houses, donating food and visiting the assisted families. This opened my eyes to the impact a person can have on another’s life, and as I watched and learned from those volunteers, it gave me a passion and a desire to study abroad.

I particularly became interested on the study of International Economic Law, and how to improve the lives of vulnerable people in developing countries, for that reason, I want to study Public Law and International Economic Law, with a view to working with an organization such as the United Nations or even local Governments.

In my quest to improve the quality of life for the vulnerable people in my country, I graduated from law school in 2020, from the Pontifical Catholic University of Goiás (PUC Goiás). During my studies, I continued volunteering, while participating at my school’s Holocaust Remembrance team, which organized talk shows on the importance of remembering the holocaust, and its impacts on international and human rights.

Being interested in the study of Law abroad, I took the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), where I scored a total of 170 points out of 180. Languages are also in my area of great interest, having studied English in Australia at the age of 17, I also took the Cambridge Advanced Test, where I achieved a score of 206 out of 210, that granted me a grade A, level C2, English certificate.

My goal is to eventually open my own law firm, focused on combating poverty and human rights infringements, guarantying vulnerable people their rights. I would also like to work with local Governments and become a representative at an international organization such as the United Nations.

As an individual, studying in Australia will substantially benefit my personal growth, I am an adventurous person who enjoys tasting and exploring cultures because I believe such experience extends my horizons over the world and make me an open-minded woman.

In conclusion I would like to point out that I am aware of the kind of diligence, perseverance, and responsibility is needed to achieve the best of results in the field. And I would give my best to achieve those results.