Computer Science & Maths Personal Statement

Mathematics is dependent on both logic and creativity, and this suits my nature because my logical side can grasp complex concepts and develop neat solutions based on a clear understanding of data whereas my creative side tends to view the problem from multiple angles and can make links between unrelated fields. Studying A-Level maths has improved my logical and analytical skills.

I enjoyed pure and applied math equally; proving the Factor theorem was as fun as finding reaction rates using calculus. Statistics taught me how to collect, analyse and describe data. I consider learning Hypothesis Testing a very key skill for research.

Attempting many problem-solving tests from a young age, like Maths and Science Olympiads, not only refined my logical thinking but made me an effective planner in timed conditions; my SAT 2 scores reflect this: Math Level 2: 800/800 and Chemistry: 800/800. I am currently solving STEP and Further Maths questions as a personal challenge.

Besides having a strong interest in Mathematics, my passion for Computer Science has grown. Technology is advancing rapidly and is changing the way we live. I am keen on gaining the right skills to contribute to this field and make a positive impact on society. Recently, I attended a lecture by AI Singapore on deep learning.
I find the idea of neural networks mimicking the functions of a biological brain fascinating, and I am keen on exploring algorithmic ways to evaluate and train neural networks at University. I am sure my A2 Biology knowledge will help me grasp deep learning models.

For the Singapore National Library competition, I wrote an essay discussing the benefits of AI and potential risks like a technological singularity. I managed to win the Second Prize.

I read books to complement my classroom learning. "How to Think Like a Mathematician" introduced me to the major methods of proof and logic, and new topics like modular arithmetic. The concepts soon became clear to me after spending extra time on the exercises. I have been learning Python and C++ on Coursera for the past 3 months.

I have built a Raspberry Pi weather station in my house using Python (and sensor data). I am also working on linear algebra to learn 3D programming on C++.

My holiday course at the Learning Lab introduced me to non-Euclidean geometry, topology, and graph theory. I was intrigued to see the solution to the Konigsberg problem using an Eulerian path.

I have executed BFS algorithms on small graphs using Python and am aiming to implement Dijkstra's short-route algorithm on bigger graphs as a project.

Achieving the Gold Scholar Badge and the Excellence Scholarship at school is evidence of my dedication and hard work. Enrolling in the school Debate Club made me a critical thinker and polished my presentation skills. As the School Captain, I have honed my leadership and people skills by organising school events.

I also led the school's Math team in the Singapore Math Challenge in 2016 and won the Distinction award. Playing football and cricket with my school team in Inter-school tournaments has increased my fitness and self-confidence. I hope to continue playing these sports at University. I am also learning to play electric guitar to join a local blues band.

I regularly partake in blood donation drives at Red Cross Singapore. I go on annual volunteering trips abroad, to help children learn English and basic computer skills.

Travelling lets me disconnect from regular life. I will be going on a month-long Europe tour in July 2019 to explore various cultures, trek in the Alps and practise French and German.

I am making money in my gap year by teaching maths and physics to A-level students at my school and I am applying for TEFL qualification to teach English abroad.

Studying at a leading UK university will avail exciting opportunities for me and instantly give me a social group to collaborate with. Hence, this is something I highly anticipate and am ready for the challenges it will bring.

Description: 
Took me 3 weeks I think. Got me an interview from Cambridge and Imperial.
Year applied: 
2018
Subject: 
Computer Science