Computer Science & Maths Personal Statement Example

Mathematics is dependent on both logic and creativity, and this suits my nature because my logical side can grasp complex concepts and develop neat solutions based on a clear understanding of data whereas my creative side tends to view the problem from multiple angles and can make links between unrelated fields. Studying A-Level maths has improved my logical and analytical skills.

I enjoyed pure and applied math equally; proving the Factor theorem was as fun as finding reaction rates using calculus. Statistics taught me how to collect, analyse and describe data. I consider learning Hypothesis Testing a very key skill for research.

Attempting many problem-solving tests from a young age, like Maths and Science Olympiads, not only refined my logical thinking but made me an effective planner in timed conditions; my SAT 2 scores reflect this: Math Level 2: 800/800 and Chemistry: 800/800. I am currently solving STEP and Further Maths questions as a personal challenge.

Besides having a strong interest in Mathematics, my passion for Computer Science has grown. Technology is advancing rapidly and is changing the way we live. I am keen on gaining the right skills to contribute to this field and make a positive impact on society. Recently, I attended a lecture by AI Singapore on deep learning.
I find the idea of neural networks mimicking the functions of a biological brain fascinating, and I am keen on exploring algorithmic ways to evaluate and train neural networks at University. I am sure my A2 Biology knowledge will help me grasp deep learning models.

For the Singapore National Library competition, I wrote an essay discussing the benefits of AI and potential risks like a technological singularity. I managed to win the Second Prize.

I read books to complement my classroom learning. "How to Think Like a Mathematician" introduced me to the major methods of proof and logic, and new topics like modular arithmetic. The concepts soon became clear to me after spending extra time on the exercises. I have been learning Python and C++ on Coursera for the past 3 months.

I have built a Raspberry Pi weather station in my house using Python (and sensor data). I am also working on linear algebra to learn 3D programming on C++.

My holiday course at the Learning Lab introduced me to non-Euclidean geometry, topology, and graph theory. I was intrigued to see the solution to the Konigsberg problem using an Eulerian path.

I have executed BFS algorithms on small graphs using Python and am aiming to implement Dijkstra's short-route algorithm on bigger graphs as a project.

Achieving the Gold Scholar Badge and the Excellence Scholarship at school is evidence of my dedication and hard work. Enrolling in the school Debate Club made me a critical thinker and polished my presentation skills. As the School Captain, I have honed my leadership and people skills by organising school events.

I also led the school's Math team in the Singapore Math Challenge in 2016 and won the Distinction award. Playing football and cricket with my school team in Inter-school tournaments has increased my fitness and self-confidence. I hope to continue playing these sports at University. I am also learning to play electric guitar to join a local blues band.

I regularly partake in blood donation drives at Red Cross Singapore. I go on annual volunteering trips abroad, to help children learn English and basic computer skills.

Travelling lets me disconnect from regular life. I will be going on a month-long Europe tour in July 2019 to explore various cultures, trek in the Alps and practise French and German.

I am making money in my gap year by teaching maths and physics to A-level students at my school and I am applying for TEFL qualification to teach English abroad.

Studying at a leading UK university will avail exciting opportunities for me and instantly give me a social group to collaborate with. Hence, this is something I highly anticipate and am ready for the challenges it will bring.

Took me 3 weeks I think. Got me an interview from Cambridge and Imperial.