Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

Computer Science Personal Statement

My interest in computers goes right back to when I was eight and I used to write my own little stories on my mum's laptop. Now, not only have I got experience in using a computer, I have learned a substantial amount of HTML, through A Level ICT and self-teaching. I would like to do this course so I can develop my talent to its limits

Two of my strengths are solving problems and having a head for figures. This is reflected in my maths predicted grade and my B in my GCSEs, and these qualities are needed by people in the field of computing.

My predicted grade in chemistry shows that I have patience, which is also a desired characteristic. On top of that, my commitment to my studies is shown by my attendance record: I only missed one day in the whole of Year 11 and in Year 12 I missed none

As you can see above, I have had a part time job in Sainsbury's for more than a year now, and due to this I have gained the important qualities of communication, teamwork and independence. Also, in Year 10 I had two weeks work experience in Luton & Dunstable Tax Office

Although this placement wasn't specifically related to the Internet, I got a taste of what it's like to use computers at an actual place of work

I have successfully completed my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's award, in which I improved my ability in snooker and cycling, and helped run a cub pack at my local scout group. At my school I'm not afraid to take on responsibilities. In year 10 I volunteered to be a reading mentor to the younger students. In year 11 I was a school prefect.

Last year I helped with activities to raise money for the Christian charity CAFOD. I've also read in school masses and represented my school in athletics. Out of school hours, I like to play snooker, go to the cinema and train in the gym

In the future I plan to go into web page design as a career as I enjoy both the technical aspects and the creativity of it. I have already made a website for my local adult education centre and I am looking forward to making many more. I am sure that if you offered me a place on your course then you would not be disappointed.

Year applied: 
2000
Subject: 
Computer Science
Computing and IT