Chemical Engineering Personal Statement Example 5

Society needs engineers that can and will change the world. Meeting today's growing global demands, coupled with safeguarding our environment is what really intrigues me.

I want to study Chemical Engineering because of its increasingly significant role in our society, particularly across a variety of industries from petrochemicals to environmental technology. It is an extremely versatile subject which provides a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and manufacture of a wide range of products, an aspect that I look forward to learning about.

Chemical Engineering incorporates Mathematics and Chemistry, which is another reason why I am drawn to the subject.

Through my A Level studies I have come to love these subjects and want to continue studying them. I feel that all my A Level choices complement each other perfectly and have encouraged me to develop skills beneficial to the study of Chemical Engineering, such as critical analysis and research.

Mathematics and Chemistry have sharpened my methodical thinking and logical problem solving skills, whilst an extended essay in English Literature on 'Hamlet' has developed my analytical and explanatory skills. Laboratory work in Chemistry has always been exciting to me from a young age.

From learning about wet tests to practical work such as the hydrolysis of an ester, my passion for the subject in its entirety has increased. This was observed and acknowledged amongst my peers as I was awarded the certificate of merit for my effort and achievement in Chemistry.

In year 12, I was nominated as the school council representative; I was responsible for various tasks including negotiating the purchase of equipment for school functions, in addition to speaking to a large group of students. This role enabled me to develop strong interpersonal and communication skills.

I feel these skills have been further strengthened through my duties as a director of Nexus, a Young Enterprise company. I led the team responsible for putting together a feasible business plan, finding potential investors.

I plan to use my Gap Year as an opportunity to become a more rounded individual. As a result, I have applied to the Year in Industry in hopes of gaining a 6-month placement for the next year to help broaden my understanding of Chemical Engineering.

I am also very involved in my local community as I joined the Bromley Youth Panel where I worked with other students and Bromley Council. I was part of the team which had the opportunity to interview potential candidates for the role of the Director of Children's Services in the Bromley borough.

I found the experience both challenging and rewarding, and through it I was able to understand the importance of communicating effectively and working within a team.

In recognition of my contribution to the management of Dance, Drama and Music courses that were ran for young people last summer, I was presented with Millennium Volunteer Award by the mayor of Lewisham. In addition to the recognition I received, I also developed organisational skills and learned how to multi-task and manage my time efficiently in a dynamic environment.

I am confident that I will be able to interact within the diverse atmosphere of university, as my experience of living in Nigeria, and having a multi cultural background has instilled in me the confidence to adapt to, and function effectively within new environments. I eagerly look forward to the exciting opportunities that studying Chemical Engineering has to offer.

This personal statement was written by otherside for application in 2008.

otherside's Comments

I hope that my personal statement will be beneficial to someone else as it helped me get my place at UCL.

Statement rating:****

its good. how many offers did

its good. how many offers did u get?

im glad you didnt start with

im glad you didnt start with ' i have always found engineering fascinating' or something like that. its really good.

Interview

did the universities asked for an interview if yes what did they ask you about?

wow

great