Architecture Personal Statement Example 15

Architecture is regarded as the most public of all art forms. I think this view barely scratches the surface. Architecture can't be simply defined, and any attempt to do so raises more questions than it answers. It challenges our preconceptions over issues like tradition, sustainability and the economy, while functioning on a scale which impacts upon all of society. The prospect of following a career path that tackles these questions, whilst still essentially creating art, is a dream for a creative person like myself.

At A Level, Maths Physics and History aren't always considered as conventionally creative as Art. However I found the main reason I enjoyed these subjects so much was that creativity is central to all of them. I believe evaluative writing, science and mathematical techniques can be alternative media to express ideas, explore problems and communicate our thinking process, in the same way as Art and Design.

Undertaking an Art and Design Foundation Course has been essential to my creative development, helping me to re-evaluate my ambitions, and giving me more focus to pursue architecture as a career. Whilst undertaking the diagnostic first term I have been excited to explore new approaches to creative work.

This has made me far more responsive to the importance of communication and diversity of techniques, when displaying individuality and conceptualization of my ideas. It has also made me more able to visualise and create work in three dimensions. The course has so far given me a wealth of experience in a short space of time and has been crucial to maturing my approach to creative work. I am looking forward to applying this to future study in architecture.

I am also nurturing my appreciation for architecture, art history and literature. Obviously there is much I am yet to discover but an architect who really inspires me with his experimentation is Massimiliano Fuksas. I like the stark industrial feel to his building-site themes, especially the Zenith music hall in Strasbourg. I also admire the dynamic utopian ambition of Antonio Sant'Elia's "Citta Nuova" and Peter Cook's (Archigram) "Walking City".

Outside education I feel I have accomplished a great deal, which has helped me gain maturity and direction. In the summer I spent a week in work experience with Stubbs Rich architects practice in Bath. It was an enlightening week involving everything from getting to grips with CAD programs to seeing the creative process combined with needs of the client. Other work experience with Neill Menneer, a Bath photographer, was informative in a different way, showing the working reality of creativity within business. Both further inspired me to pursue the career whilst opening my eyes to what it constitutes.

In September 2008 I ran the Bristol half marathon for the Forever Friends 'space to grow' appeal at the Bath Royal United Hospital NICU. This charity is close to my heart as I myself am a triplet who was premature at Bath RUH. I completed the half again this year and hope to move on to full marathons soon.

Finding the time to run several times a week is important to me as it keeps me focused and healthy. I also participate in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme which has been an inspiring mental and physical journey. I have been to some amazing places and had some memorable experiences in completing the challenges of Gold, Silver and Bronze awards. This includes expeditions to the Brecon Beacons and Galloway Hills, a residential with the RNLI, coaching youth football and community work in the Bradford Youth Town Council.

Architecture is a dream career for me. I feel well prepared and confident to take the next step towards it. From AS through to Foundation I have matured as a student and an individual, developed a confidence and set of skills in my creative work and above all nurtured a focus and enthusiasm to study architecture. I am excited to continue this progression to degree level and beyond.

This personal statement was written by sisandford for application in 2010.

I really liked this. It reads

I really liked this. It reads well, and there is good relevance to the course applied for.
well done!

The last paragraph

The last paragraph (conclusion) is great!! Short and simple!

Bravo! :)

This is soooo awwwsome :) You sure knew what you wanna do wid your life congrats! i'm sure you got into a good uni of ur choice...! :) would you please consider including info such as the unis you applied and the unis that gave you offers etc.? That would really help a lot of confused ppl like me !

VxvcYyFJdt

Very informative article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.