Funding your degree in New Zealand

Funding for Higher Education in New Zealand increases every year, and more and more students are finding they are unable to support themselves.

This section gives details of the main sources of funding you can look into to help yourself financially whilst studying in New Zealand.

Home Country

Your own country is a potential source of funding, either from organisations or companies based in your home country or from your government.

This is an avenue that you will have to explore before you leave and some of the stipulations of funding might be that you have to return to your home country once you have graduated, so keep this in mind when applying for aid from your home country.

International Organisations

There are several International Organisations, such as the Fulbright Commission, who provide financial aid to students all over the world.

Other such organisations who offer help are:

Many of these require you to be in your home country when you apply, so plan ahead and make sure you get your application in early as they can be very competitive.

New Zealand Universities

Some of the eight universities in New Zealand offer scholarships to international undergraduates, so it's worth checking their website to see if they offer anything.

However, there is generally much less funding for undergraduate courses than graduate courses.

If there doesn't appear to be any scholarships available at the university you are applying to, it may be worth contacting the financial aid office to check, or see if they can suggest any other avenues of funding.


The biggest source of income for international students is your family.

This may be either in the form of your parents, or aunts and uncles providing you with some money for your studies abroad.

Further information

For more help and advice on applying to university in New Zealand, please see: