Canadian Student Visas

Who is eligible to study in Canada?

These requirements apply to everyone who wishes to study in Canada, whether or not you need a study permit. To study in Canada, you must:

  • Have been accepted to a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • Have proof that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members (spouse or common-law partner and/or dependent children) who come with you to Canada, and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada
  • Be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

Who should apply for a Canada study permit?

In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada. 

Even if you do not need a study permit, you may still need to apply for a temporary residence visa depending on your country of citizenship.

Preparing your Canada visa application

A thoroughly prepared application should include the following:

  • Fees for processing Study Permit application- this is currently £75 if you are applying from the UK.
  • 2 passport-sized photos for each applicant
  • Passport valid for at least one year (and at least 6 months longer than expected period of study), and passports showing previous travel
  • If you will visit friends or relatives in Canada, photocopies of their Canadian visa, permanent resident or citizenship cards
  • Originals and photocopies of your income tax return for the past two years. If married, provide the same information for your spouse.
  • Bank statements for the past three months, or fixed deposit certificates. You should show that you have as much money as you can.
  • Letter of employment, if applicable, indicating your position, length of service, salary and exact dates of authorized vacation. If married, provide the same information for your spouse.
  • If someone else is paying for the costs of your studies, you must provide a letter (or preferably sworn declaration) from them indicating this. 
  • Proof of financial support: for applicants who are not self-supporting, provide the above financial documentation for those on whom you depend for support.
  • Proof of the studies you have completed which form the basis for your acceptance into a Canadian school.
  • Proof of acceptance (Letter of Acceptance) from an educational institution.
  • Proof that tuition fees have been paid. The Letter of Acceptance usually serves this purpose.
  • Separate sheet explaining in detail your reasons for wishing to study in Canada. This should include the course(s) you will follow, your total planned length of stay, the total cost for all months/years of study, how you will pay those expenses, and what your plans are following the completion of your studies. In addition, indicate full names and addresses of all persons you plan to visit.
  • Members of the Armed Forces must complete a military service table (available at the embassy), and may expect a processing delay of at least ten working days
  • If divorced, include details of former spouse on the 'additional family information' sheet
  • Travel itinerary including hotel reservations, if applicable
  • If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying, you must provide a proof of your present immigration status in the country of application.
  • In some cases, you may be asked to undergo immigration medical examinations and/or police clearance.

Further information

For more help and advice on applying to university in Canada, please see: