Student Visas & Documents Australia

You will need to send the following documents with your application:

  • Certified copies of all your academic transcripts and/or work experience endorsed by an appropriate person, for example, school results certified by the school principal.

If your documentation is in a language other than English, an official certified translation must be provided. There are some websites that will translate your documents for free, so it’s worth looking for one of these.

  • Evidence that you meet the English language requirements (e.g. IELTS test scores).

You will also require:

  • An identification certificate
  • Passport size photographs
  • Letters of recommendation/references
  • Degree of previous studies (If required)
  • CV.


To study for a degree in Australia, you will need to apply for a Subclass 573 Higher Education visa – this particular visa is for students wishing to undertake a Bachelor degree, Associate Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters by course work.

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course, and will usually expire 2 months after the end date of your course.

From 26th April 2008, a student visa automatically gives you Permission to Work.

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when your course is in session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session (i.e. during holidays).

You cannot undertake work until you have started your course in Australia. Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 20 hours per week.

If you are doing voluntary or unpaid work you must apply for permission to work. It is included in the limit of 20 hours per week. A week begins on a Monday and ends the following Sunday.


You must meet the following specific requirements to be eligible for this visa:

  • Accepted for full-time study in a registered course or part of a registered course.
  • Have enough money to pay for all your travel, tuition and living expenses.
  • Meet certain health requirements and undergo a health examination if necessary. The requirements vary depending on your length of stay in Australia and other health risks in your home country or countries you have visited for more than three months within the last five years.

Health examinations can be completed before you lodge your visa application, but no more than six months before your course starts.

  • Have health insurance while studying in Australia. Health insurance can be provided by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.
  • Evidence of an appropriate level of English language skills (i.e. IELTS test).
  • Evidence of suitable academic results (e.g. A levels).
  • A good 'Character Declaration' on your application form – you must be of good character to enter Australia.
  • Have no outstanding debts to the Australian government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government.

In addition to these initial requirements, you must also uphold your visa conditions while studying and living in Australia or your visa may be cancelled and you may have to leave Australia.

You are obliged to maintain satisfactory attendance in your course as required by your university, and make satisfactory course progress for each study period.

You must also maintain enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, as well as maintain your health insurance cover.

Applying for a subclass 573 visa

When you submit your application, it is important that you include all the required documents with your application. Lodging a complete application assists case officers to process your application more quickly.

If you cannot provide all the supporting documentation when you lodge your visa application, tell the department which documents are missing and when you expect to be able to provide them.

Incomplete applications may be delayed or, in some cases, refused.

Passport details

Your visa will be linked to the passport number you used in your application. You must use the same passport to travel to and from Australia.

Your passport should be valid for at least six months from the time you lodge the application.

In order to avoid significant delays at your departure point for Australia, it is important you advise the department of new passport details before you travel to Australia.

Application fee

You will be charged a fee when you submit your application.

Other costs

There may also be other costs associated with the application, such as translating documents into English. You will also need to pay for any medical examinations.

If required, you may also need to provide a police check.

Charges for obtaining police checks vary in each country. When required to obtain your own police checks, you are personally responsible for all arrangements and charges.

You can apply for your student visa online, by mail or by courier.

Further information

For more help and advice on applying to university in Australia, please see: