Software Engineering Personal Statement Example 4

From an early age I have always been deeply interested in computing. It was my dad, introducing me to the computer systems at his work place that first sparked this interest. I can always remember the feeling of wanting to know just how computers worked, why they worked and what else they could do.

There is not only one reason but there are several reasons why I want study Software Engineering at university. Since my earliest childhood I have always been interested in computers, both their hardware and software.

In the modern world it is virtually impossible to escape computers as they are part of several things that touch our lives, making them easier and creating solutions for many complex and challenging problems.

Computer science is at the forefront of breakthroughs in science, technology and mathematics, and at the heart of virtually all cutting edge inventions in fields like engineering, business, entertainment and education. It is an interdisciplinary and dynamic subject, whose roots include mathematics, physics and electronics.

This interest is growing more profound and passionate with every new discovery I made. From communicating with an artificial intelligence to seeing the wonders of the Internet for the first time, computers have left me fascinated with just how much power yet mystery they hold.

In the GSEB Level 12th standard I chose to study the subjects, those all have helped me to develop both myself and my understanding of the subject. For example Physics has helped me to understand how certain parts of a computer functions, while Computing has given me a greater insight into the business aspects of the computer industry.

Chemistry and Physics have both helped to improve my analytical and evaluative skills. Within maths I have been lucky enough to have a teacher who was very interested in computer science.

Another reason for my attraction to this subject is the many types of lucrative careers that this degree will open up. Computing careers are not only here to stay but are expanding all the time, both in this country and abroad.

It is one of those fields where it is very hard to predict what will happen in the future this is why I cannot even begin to imagine all the ways that you can make a contribution to it, but I am sure that it can make your life’s work exciting and real.

I am able to communicate with people at all levels and get them to visualise my intentions. I always enjoy a challenge, and can work well under pressure; my other strengths are a strong commitment to customer services, and attention to detail. I am highly motivated and enjoy challenges within a new or existing role, and feel I am flexible enough to meet the needs of any degree course.

On a more subject specific level, I can understand programming beyond the constraints of the syntax, and also comprehend the logic behind how you should implement solutions to computing problems. I am also a person with a serious and focused attitude to my work, but with a relaxed attitude.

This trait helps me to deal with frustrating problems like computer bugs, and making programs work properly. I understand that once you write and compile code, you must make it work properly, account for every situation and possible user input. All of this can only really be done with a positive and composed mindset.

Over the summer months I have broaden my knowledge by self studying the programming language. I have extended my knowledge of Java, PHP and HTML to much further level during my free times. I have expertise myself in debugging programmes and problem solving skills. Currently I am self studying java to enhance my knowledge.

I am presently looking for a university course that will challenge my problem solving skills, extend the range and volume of my academic experience, and allow me to continue to develop my knowledge and potential.
I have applied to your university because it is one of the leading institutions for the study of computing.

My research into your university has shown me that your teaching methods are continually updated to reflect new advances, thereby giving students in-depth knowledge from people who are at the forefront of the subject; giving students an excellent understanding of the foundations of the subject through a variety of teaching methods including lectures, tutorials, laboratory classes, group working and online resources.

This is important in a dynamic subject like computing, in which new ideas, techniques and applications are always emerging.

In conclusion I would like to say that I am really looking forward to the personal and academic challenges that studying for a Software Engineering degree at your university will bring. I would be grateful if you can consider my candidature favourably for admission

Thank you for the opportunity to express myself.

This personal statement was written by setu9760 for application in 2013.