Social Work Personal Statement

The services encompassed within social care have played a significant part in my life on both a personal and professional level.

It is through these collective experiences that I developed a deeper insight into the role of a social worker and the transformative support provided through it. Subsequently this fueled and furthered my ambition to return to education and ultimately support vulnerable people experiencing need.

I believe that my strong motivation towards achieving this combined with practical experience and a passion to protect, invest and empower others, demonstrates my potential as a dedicated social worker.

I have worked exclusively within the field of social care; supporting people with an array of complex needs in a spectrum of settings. This has included adults with physical and learning disabilities, looked after young people and adults experiencing mental health issues.

Through my role as a support worker I have thrived on the many challenges presented and derived immense satisfaction through enabling others. I was responsible for creating and maintaining care plans, risk assessments and other appropriate records.

Keeping clear and concise documentation required meticulous detailing on my part and was a reflection on my conscientious approach towards good practice. I actively participated in team meetings and care reviews; putting forward suggestions and problem solving with others.

This aspect of my role involved liaising with social workers and various other professionals as part of a multi-disciplinary approach. I learnt through this how to asses and address individual need as well as the importance of reflecting back on the quality of service that I provide.

Because of this I have constantly strived towards improving my practice and have undertaken various courses relating to social policy and the welfare of others. This has increased my knowledge, interest and empathetic nature.

I believe strongly in the ideals of diversity, equality and inclusion and have adopted these principles to my practice remaining consistently non-discriminatory and non-judgemental.

Possessing such an encompassing attitude has enabled me to work effectively from a person centered approach and develop positive working relationships with service users and co-workers alike. Through utilising my strong inter-personal skills I have supported service users towards developing life skills and attaining their personal goals.

As part of this pro-active approach I have promoted choice, Independence, dignity, rights and responsibilities.

As a single parent in full time education I have gained many skills which are transferable to the role of a social worker. Being organised, managing my time effectively and remaining creative and adaptive are key skills which I have developed through raising my son with autistic spectrum disorder.

I have advocated on his behalf; accessing and utilising a variety of services through which our family receive life enhancing support. Motivated by these positive experiences I joined a parent led autism support service through which I provide advice and counselling to others.

In my personal time I'm actively involved in a performing arts group and love the eclectic mix of cultures and communities it brings me into contact with.

Social work is a vital service which delves into the issues and inequality's within society which can stigmatise and perpetuate suffering.

It is a career which often takes different perspectives into account in order to protect people and seek out solutions. I perceive it to be a complex and challenging role; rewarding and thankless all at the same time.

However, I remain un-cynical and undeterred in my belief that social work creates positive outcomes for people. This is the fundamental reason why I wish to become part of this profession and I am confident that studying this degree program will enable me towards achieving it.

Year applied: 
2011
Subject: 
Social Work