Psychology and Education Personal Statement Example

As I've grown up, I've watched my mum graduate from a PGCE student to a senior-level alternative curriculum teacher. With powerpoints, worksheets and notepads about the dining room table weekly, I've learned to realise how much effort she truly puts into her career and into the students she works with. Not only does she develop lesson plans for whole classes, but she must develop the work for each student with a different need. As a student, you don't realise how much effort teachers put in- seeing my mum work to make connections with students that are often forgotten, and hearing students rave about her as a favourite teacher has been incredibly inspiring.

In Psychology A-Level, I've learned to connect our everyday thoughts and actions with the intricate science behind it. Particularly during the social influence topic, I was interested in the idea of complacency to authority- particularly poignant in society at the moment. I read Influence: The Psychology Of Persuasion by Dr Robert Cialdini as well as The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo and enjoyed the idea of obedience being a perversion of human perfectionism. I was also able to apply their different theories to current events through the Speaking of Psychology podcast episode on obedience in relation to the Covid-19 vaccine. I have also applied my psychology knowledge to my own experiences in education such as through the documentary Babies, considering their ideas of nature vs nurture in relation to disobedience in education. This has also allowed me to develop my ideas on free will and determinism and use this in my A-Level studies.

Taking Maths A-Level I have had the opportunity to grow my ability to critically think about complex problems. It has also helped me to develop statistical analysis skills, something key to the scientific study of Psychology. English Literature has similarly helped me develop my academic analytical skills and has allowed me to advance my essay writing skills, essential for my future studies.

I have also dedicated time to volunteering at a local non-profit organisation that helps adults with disabilities find employment in the hospitality sector. As well as assisting and supervising volunteers, I have worked alongside the director of the organisation which has taught me essential skills such as teamwork and independence in the workplace. It has motivated me to speak out more about the inequalities found in everyday life. I would also like to learn more about the ways Psychology can be applied to assist people with disabilities, such as in the education system. In the future I would like to work with children and young people in education.

As a student from a working class family attending a grammar school in a middle class area I have felt the differences between myself and students of a higher class, and have particularly felt disadvantaged socially in relation to my peers. I would like to work toward removing this split within places of education, as well as ensuring that all students have equal opportunities. I would also like to be able to take my experiences working in the charity sector, my own time in secondary education and my future studies to find a career where I can help young people in any way I can.

I currently undertake a student leader role in school, particularly working to put together charity fundraising events and collections in school as well as independently creating a transition booklet for future students. This has helped me to develop my leadership and organisational skills, which I find beneficial for work and external volunteering roles. I also compete in local competitions in Karate, and I take pride in my progress in learning to play a variety of brass instruments throughout primary and secondary school. Learning these skills has taken patience and shows my focus and perseverance when learning. I would also like to be able to continue these extracurriculars whilst in future studies.

This is my personal statement used to apply for Psychology and Education or Educational Psychology depending on the University. This got me offers from UCL, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds and Keele along with predicted grades A*AA