Postgraduate Psychology Personal Statement Example 2

Although I have only studied psychology for a relatively short period of time, I have enjoyed the subject thoroughly and have been engaged in intriguing topics such as memory and infant attachment. I originally intended to study psychology during my college years but, unfortunately, my university didn't have a psychology department.

So, I studied French language and literature at Damietta University , from where I graduated with honors in May 2012, and was among the top 10 ranked students. In the fourth year, I did a research project in which I made a comparison between the French Revolution, which occurred at the end of the eighteenth century and the 25th of January Egyptian Revolution. My project was highly rated.

After graduation, I decided to take three years off from studies to narrow my interests and think about my future. During this time, I participated; in volunteer work, I volunteered in “Resala” Charity Association to teach children and orphans, volunteered in TEDx in my city, helped the elderly and children with special needs, taught French and English language to Secondary and Preparatory school students who do not have money.

In 2015, my mother was hit by illness depression, when I began reading in Psychology and its concept; and the more I learned about it, the more I became passionate. I realised that psychology is the tool that can impact people and life as a whole.

Ultimately, I realised that I want to dedicate my life to this field .Having the desire to change the world and make it better, in order to be satisfied with life and with myself, I reckon that I need to do something significant and my work must affect other people in positive manner.

The specific area of psychology that I am interested in pursuing is Clinical Psychology. I feel that studying psychology would provide me with the answers as well as highly transferable skills such as comprehension of the human mind, effective team work, and the ability to help others when needed, which would be valuable on a day-to-day basis.

Everything we do involves psychology; the natural techniques we use to develop our strengths and the ways we learn to surpass our weaknesses has been an interest of mine since high school.

By watching others gaining their characteristics and personal skills I have been attracted towards psychology ever since. I find it fascinating how the study of a language, culture, and behavior can overlap to provide me with a more in-depth understanding of humankind.

Sigmund Freud - “Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy.” There are few other things that arouse greater fascination than the human mind itself; its complexity and the mystery which enshrouds it has always appealed to me, which is why it is my dream to study psychology at university.

I read the works of Oliver Sacks, namely 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat'. The 'characters' within this book were each equally enthralling; each revealing unique stories and emotions, considered as the 'norm' in terms of attitude and behavior.

I enjoy various novels and works by psychologists to expand my knowledge of the subject such as 'The Interpretation of Dreams,' which was an excellent extension to my previous knowledge of Freud. 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' was particularly inspiring as it gave me a fictional insight into the lives of people in an asylum, principally concerned with the ways in which society applies pressure on an individual to conform to what is ours.

I find psychological case studies and accounts absorbing such as 'Malignant sadness' by Lewis Wolpert and television documentaries.'

Additionally, the entertainment programme 'Big Brother,' which the British Psychological Society labelled a "public concern," regarding its "deliberate creation of tension and conflict," gave me an insight into psychological disorders such as Tourettes Syndrome, anorexia and Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and increased my awareness of the ethical guidelines concerned with research.

Psychology has made me realize that in order to help someone, I have to first understand them. I want to be able to explore and investigate different theories and approaches, I want to begin to answer the fundamental questions surrounding the human consciousness, and I want to use this knowledge to help others to mend and develop.

Studying psychology will be the beginning of my journey to a challenging, fascinating and gratifying career, so when considering where to go, I feel that Korea would be the best choice.

Furthermore, I am enthralled by the Korean educational system: its flexibility, individual approach, and passionate teachers eager to provide their students with both theoretical and practical knowledge and who would motivate me to go beyond my limits.

So, I am applying to the master's degree at Sungkyunkwan university, Sungkyunkwan University (SSKU) is one of the oldest and best universities in South Korea. . The literal meaning of "Sungkyunkwan" is "an institution for building a harmonious society of perfected human beings".

The international communities of Sungkyunkwan University aim to meet this goal by creating an environment where students can thrive in cooperation with our staff and grow together in a positive way. SKKU offers an orientation session for exchange students to help them adjust into a new life in the campus environment.

SKKU International Officer also organises cultural activities and social events for all exchange students. Through these events they aim to increase our students’ sense of globalisation and multicultural understanding. because I believe that I will make an outstanding undergraduate student who will appreciate having the ability to study and expand my knowledge in a reputable learning environment.

It will allow me to greatly broaden my knowledge and understanding of psychology, I am also very optimistic about the challenges that I will face at the university, such as being more independent and being challenged academically and socially.

And in the future I am hoping to be able to offer help to those suffering from incurable disorders, in order for them to function as best as they can.