Medicine Personal Statement Example 14

'Whoever kills a person it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life, it is as though he had saved all mankind.'(Quran 5:32) My choice of A-Level subjects was influenced by my fascination to form connections between science and my religious beliefs.

Additionally I have always questioned how such complex, almost surreal systems exist within the human anatomy.

Studying Biology and Chemistry has proven to provide many answers for me,and much more. In contrast I have taken an Art subject as it is a therapeutic activity through which I am able me to continue developing my creative talent.

The idea of a career that would challenge my mental ability and decision making skills has always implied that Medicine is the right choice for me.

In support of my career choice, I undertook Work Experience at ******* Hospital during my AS-levels. As a Care Assistant, I took part in numerous practical tasks, such as testing sugar levels, performing ECGs and recording relevant patient information. Such small tasks enabled me to strengthen the bonds that I formed with patients, and also outlined essential qualities for a medical student.

For example, I had to be patient, understanding and exert my communication skills to the full extent. My social skills and confidence were further amplified as I was put on varying wards, meeting new staff each day.

The positive feedback I received from them prompted me to learn even more about the medical world, and consequently I decided to take up Voluntarty Work at the Hospital.

The teamwork that I practised in the Hospital was a development of skills that I acquired in school. I played an active role as a prefect and participated in raising money and awareness for charity, namely U.N.AIDS. This project allowed me to convey a sense of independance and responsibility.

The Arts and Activities week I participated in enhanced my leadership skills, and the constant praiseworthy attitude I showed my younger peers also proved beneficial to me, when I had to address an older audience recently as a school representative.

I hope such a positive, approachable attitude can help make me a viable team member in the medical profession as creating an open, comfortable, atmosphere for patients and family members is invaluable.

I feel that Medicine is not only about helping people it is about social and political awareness, as well as scientific breakthroughs. Thus my extracurricular interests include broadening my social horizons and understanding different cultures through the Art and Film medium.

Alternatively I thoroughly enjoy watching programmes that give me an insight into the progression of modern science. For example the series 'Animal Farm', and the documentary 'Dispatches' prompted me to question the reliability of stories in the current News, related to Medicine.

One controversial issue in particular, encouraged me to be involved in one of the most awe-inspiring events, The Anti-War on Iraq Protest in 2003. I very much enjoyed participating in one of the largest political demonstrations in the city's history.

I am aware of the demands of a Medical career but my ability to balance a social and educational lifestyle should enable me to meet the required standards. The way a patient is addressed or cared for, has a lasting impact not only on the patient and their family, but also on the carer.

Through the qualities I have developed from an academic and voluntary aspect, along with the opportunity to study Medicine, I think I would be capable of creating such an impact in people's lives.

This personal statement was written by haleema for application in 2007.

haleema's Comments

Thanks for all the feedback/comments. I've mainly applied for Unis in London -Uni Col of London, Queen Mary, St Georges as well as Keele, in Staffordshire.

Although u have to bare in mind its not just the P.S they look at, they also consider scores on the UKCAT test and BMAT test and obviously your A-Level results. Deadlines gone, just the loooong wait left nw, Good Luck 2 u all.

Fantastic

This personal statement is fasinating, it covers all areas I wanted to include in my statement, also I have picked up the way the terms and vocabularies work.

hmm

alrite! u still need to re-draft it, several grammar errors

hey im loving the way you've

hey im loving the way you've started your personal statement by using a quote from the Quran... thats excellent!

hey, can you tell us wher you

hey, can you tell us wher you applied because the persoanl statement is really good. i like the way you started quite unique!!!

salam!

what an amazing p.s. mashallah. hope you get a place where you want. what uni r u hoping to go to?

Salam fellow muslim

Marshallah I love the way u have began your ps with the words of allah! Goodluck to you and I hope allah grants you all you want and deserve!

mashallah

mashallah
the beginning really grabbed my attention..excellent start that is unique

mashallah i really enjoyd

mashallah i really enjoyd reading ur PS i love the starts of it iswell!!! good luck

waffle

what is this, good luck you will need it.

what a great personal statement

may allah grant your wishes ! best of luck

caught my eye

good intro. i was thinking of using islam for showing that i'm a value driven person, but i wasn't sure what admissions prefers. it was like someone mentioned before. But I love the sura you found

Don't like the quote

Good personal statement overall however i've been told by various admissions tutors that they dont like quotes - particullarly religious ones. Best of luck

excellent Haleema! I hope you

excellent Haleema! I hope you get in inshallah I have tried twice with 3As and still unsuccessful! Think i mite go back to my home town...

i thought that the quote at

i thought that the quote at the beginning was a good idea, i was thinking of writing a quote in my one too but i don't know where to look

anyways, best of luck
did you get any offers?

hey, i think it is really

hey, i think it is really good. did you get any offers from the unis or not? let us knoe?

Have you done the BMAT and

Have you done the BMAT and UKCAT?
How was it?

How do you register for BMAT?

i read ur p.s. with great

i read ur p.s. with great interest and i'm a muslim myself bt i still think dat it is kinda risky to involve religion in ur p.s. especially in nowadays society and the tension between the religions in the uk

Hi hun great personal st8ment

Hi hun great personal st8ment. Jus a question-hw do unis knw ur nt lying abt work expperience, ne1 can easily mk it up!!
feedbk needed!!!
XXXX

Work exp/BMAT

well if they were to find out whether i was lying bwt work experience, they could fone my school up and ask them or even fone th voluntary work manager at the hospital who organizes it. Im not sure if all hospitals have one but the worst thing u can do is LIE on ur PS especially when ur aiming for such a competitive course.

For the BMAT google it. u can take it at ur own school/college too. just talk to one of ur teachers to register the school/college on the BMAT site and they will send the papers to you. as for the UKCAT, there are specific dates for these u have to book urself in online and u take it at a special centre, the same place ppl go to take their theory tests! hope this helps

hey, so did u get any offers

hey, so did u get any offers from uniz?? i waz juz thinkin that bringing religion into science..:S:S isnt it a litle controversial.. :S:S:s i wanted ot do it aswel but i wasntsure

OFFERS

no unfortunately i didnt get any offers. I reckon this was mainly due to miserably failing the entry tests! however i did recieve an offer for an audiology course, bt decided to re-apply next yr...this time il be stikin to my art roots! good luck all x

ukcat/bmat scores?

how did you do in your ukcat and bmat haleema

i don't think i'm going to do the bmat
but i screwed up my ukcat so now i'm really panicky

very good, well done!!

very good, well done!!

BMAT and UKCAT

well im gonna be honest, it depends 'how badly' u did on ur UKCAT...i did realllllly bad lol was prob way below average! but if ur score turns out to be around average (u will be told what average is when u get ur results) then they will make the decision by focusing more on ur grades and personal statement.

Salaam Haleema. That's a v

Salaam Haleema. That's a v good statement up there mashAllah, I admire the way u started off as alot of ppl hav already said. Anyway just wantd 2 say sorry 2 hear u ddnt get in, better luck this time round..or did u say youl be sticking to art?

Entry 2009

yep im stickin to an arts based course for 2009 entry as il b taking a gap yr first, afterall i despise science bt only took it up at a-level to give medicine a shot! x

I think this is a brilliant

I think this is a brilliant personal statement, inshallah you will get in !

well done for steering away

well done for steering away from med if it was something that you wouldn't really enjoy

good on you !

Hi haleema. I must say we

Hi haleema. I must say we have a lot in common. i am applying to medicine this year, but i don't know if i'll get it. i think it's very borderline. If you don't mind, could u disclose your UKCAT score? If not, i'll take a gap year and work on art. How is that going for you?

salaamz all

thanx for all the support! i rarely chek the updated comments on this bt for those who would like to know more...contact me on this address - antisocial_298@hotmail.com(particularly the person who would like to know my ukcat score and go in to art.. if med fails :P) tc n goodluk x

Quote?..

Well my personal views on whether a P.S should start with a quote doesn't really count unless I was on the admissions panel lol..but as its something they have specifically told you NOT to include then if I were you, I would stick to the advice given to be honest x

WHAT A START!!

i saw the opening line of this statement and i thought what a beautiful and perfect way to start a statement....mashAllah

you have to go to your school

you have to go to your school and ask about taking the BMAT there the website will help you if your school doesnt to make it possible, just follow there instructions.

Salaams haleema, was just

Salaams haleema, was just wondering whether you got in with this personal statement? and if you did an interview ? The reason being was because I was interested in the ayah you used but reluctant to use it in my own.

vSVbTfVuy

Very good blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.