Medicine Personal Statement Example 57

My enthusiasm for the advances of medical science, understanding and technology drive me towards medicine. I yearn to discover further the wonder and complexities of science, and have a greater understanding of the illness' and diseases we face. I am fascinated that our bodies can carry out so many processes and together they enable us to lead healthy lives.

Studying medicine will fulfil my passion but fundamentally involves interacting with and caring for people, something which is core to me as a person.

A highlight of my time spent as a porter in Raigmore Hospital was talking with the patients about their experiences and the care received; this helped me realise the imperative doctor-patient relationship.

The experience made me appreciate the significant input from all hospital staff and how each role is as important in maintaining a high standard of patient care.Whilst there I spent time in paediatrics and the renal unit where I learnt about the treatments and running of the departments.

I also spent three days in radiology at Dr Gray's Hospital where I observed x-ray, ultrasound and CT scans as well as the consultant reporting the results.I was privileged to observe more complex procedures such as barium enemas, IVUs and carotid ultrasounds. These gave me a greater insight into human anatomy and underlined how medical technology can save lives.

Again, I greatly enjoyed interacting with the patients and working closely with the staff.As a subscriber of the Student BMJ, I keep informed of current medical practices and progressions as well as prompting important ethical debate.

For two weeks I was a volunteer in a Romanian orphanage,helping care for over thirty children with a range of disabilities.My main task was to engage with the children and ensure that all their needs were met.This was a very rewarding and worthwhile venture because it showed me the difficulties,but also the delight and satisfaction of caring for people.

I believe I could transfer new skills I learnt from Romania to a clinical environment, and moreover I now feel lucky for what I have at home.

My experiences, as well as attending Medlink,both of which I found inspirational and productive,have helped me anticipate the possibilities ahead;the benefits and the gratifying hard work of this extraordinary profession.

I participate in a wide range of activities and maintain a good balance between these and academic work.My team building and communication skills,while working under pressure,have been strengthened by expeditions and sail training voyages that I have completed.

These qualities are sustained in my role as Captain of the Fire Service at school.I am involved with emergency call outs,community events, the running of the unit and helping train the recruits.I am also Captain of Juniors,a position of responsibility in the boarding house where I oversee any issues arising with the younger students.

Excellent listening skills and confidentiality are vital in this role,and to complement this I have also been in a peer mentoring service.Alongside this I had a week's work experience in a boarding school(ages 8-13)where I assisted the staff to ensure that a good level of pastoral welfare was maintained.

Last year I represented the school at an international conference in Canada focusing on sustainability. I have since been prompted to look at our broader responsibility to humanity and have chaired committees which are pro-active and work together to initiate "green" projects.

I also attended a Model UN Conference to supplement my interest in current affairs.I like to express myself creatively so I have been in drama productions and music concerts where I sing and play timpani.Many of these activities led me to obtain my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award.

I am confident that my skills and experience acquired from a diversity of environments with a variety of people alongside my interest in the human body prepare me for studying,and consequently a career in medicine.

This personal statement was written by jacko0892 for application in 2010.

jacko0892's university choices
The University of Manchester
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London

Degree
Medicine at King's College London

jacko0892's Comments

This personal statement helped me get three interviews and three subsequent offers.

zainab

well done!
did your ukcat scores impact greatly on this?

jBcHGxJgmY

Author, Shoot yourself a knee..!!