Maths & Actuarial Science Personal Statement Example 2

“If people don’t believe that Mathematics is simple, it’s only because they don’t realize how complicated life is.”J.L Neumann. This saying perhaps makes more sense to me than to anyone else and is most suited to describe my zeal for Mathematics.

From a very young age, thinking about problems critically, arriving to solutions, applying the knowledge gained and presenting them in a constructive way has been something I have enjoyed.

Mathematics gives me the ability to approach things logically and make decisions rationally. It is that empirical knowledge that this subject provides, so that one can apply its learning in daily life. It is this inclination towards Mathematics that has drawn me to pursue a degree in Actuarial Science.

My aptitude and passion for Mathematics, Statistics and, most importantly, Economics have led me to choose a career in Actuarial profession. Mathematics and Statistics in Finance can be used to draw statistical models that assess the past, evaluate the present and provide better understanding of the probable future.

Better knowledge of future financial risks ahead can help us to minimize risks and take decisions which are beneficial.

My ambition to utilize Mathematical knowledge and analytical skills to solve financial problems has led me to study Accounting, Economics and Further Mathematics along with Mathematics at A-Levels. I believe this combination of subjects would help me to study Actuarial Science at university level with greater ease as it requires a sound combination of Mathematics and Business background.

My affection with Mathematics began from my junior school days where I would enjoy learning new Mathematical concepts and its applications to daily lives. I would study it not as all other curriculum subjects but it became a subject of great interest to me. I was always considered to be among the top Mathematics students in school and always scored high marks in examinations, quizzes and coursework.

My appreciation for the subject gradually matured over the years and my A at GCE O-Level Mathematics and B at GCE O-Level Additional Mathematics meant not only I could take on the challenge of A-Level Mathematics, but also of A-Level Further Mathematics which would further enhance my Mathematical skills.

Furthermore, I pursued AS-Level Economics and Accounting to improve on my analytical approach and familiarize myself with the financial aspects involved in Actuarial Science.

I believe that actuaries are people, who are academically strong, dynamic in personality and exceptional managers. Furthermore, they must be hardworking, dedicated and aspiring. I have always tried to carve my life, academics and other activities so that I can be a successful actuary.

In view of that, I participated in International Kangaroo Mathematics Contests both at Junior and Student Level, securing second position in my college in the Student Level. I also participated in Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge, again winning the gold medal.

I learned new tricks and trade of Mathematics. Competing against others, challenging my physical and mental dedication and interacting with genius minds was something I will cherish forever. I have also tried to become a vibrant part of society.

I volunteered at Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, Agha Khan Hospital and taken part in Model United Nations. I gained a lot of knowledge about insurance and risk evaluation when I interned at Alpha Insurance Company and this also taught me how to work and interact with others in a professional environment.

I am a keen follower of sports and leisure as well. I have played cricket at club level at UBL Bank and currently captaining my college team. The reason I wish to study in the UK is the chance of interacting with people from all around the globe in a friendly and competitive environment. I do believe that I have the skills and motivation to study actuarial sciences and show the world real image of Pakistanis by excelling.

This personal statement was written by okhalid2 for application in 2010.

okhalid2's Comments

I just tried to write something about myself and nothing else.Please comment what you think about it??

EjqaHPtZQe

The material is on the five plus. But there is a minus! My internet speed 56kb/sek. The page was loading for about 40 seconds!....

nice statement.

you have done a nice work describing yourself and have made use of the economic advancement over there in your drive 2 become an actuary.

aRwsDirlH

A big thank you for your article post. Awesome.