Law Personal Statement Example 1

The subject of law fascinates me extensively. I am intrigued by developments in the law and the way that it adapts to an ever-changing society.

I feel I would be suited to a law degree as I am at my best when challenged, relish the opportunity of lateral thinking and enjoy evaluating the microcosm of human relations.

I have improved my understanding of the law by spending 8 weeks in a Solicitors Office. I benefited from this vastly, as I was able to attend both Basingstoke's County and Magistrates Courts on frequent occasions, to take notes and observe cases that my employer was accountable for.

The experience was enthralling as I learnt about the work undertaken at a small high-street firm, the ambience of a courtroom, and more about the officials that occupy it.

Recently, I attended Winchester Crown Court to gain first-hand experience of a complex and serious murder case. The defendant used the partial defence of provocation on the grounds of an affair, which was later dismissed. I had strong feelings about the handling and outcome of the case, which confirmed my thoughts of law as a career.

I am looking forward to attending a conference in London next month where Chris Clarkson is lecturing.

At my secondary school I had the privilege of becoming Head Boy. As part of this role I gave many speeches to my contemporaries from different schools, as well as parents and professionals.

I also chaired the Student Council where I had an active input into my school's welfare, delegated workloads and took expeditions with teachers representing the school as an ambassador.

I also helped with the bid for my school's conversion to 'Technology College Status'. And was awarded the 'Harriet Costello Award' for achieving the highest GCSE results in the academic year 2001-2002.

I enjoy English because I am able to express myself creatively through essays and discussion. I am reading Dickens' 'Great Expectations' as part of my English Literature course, and have found the depiction of the Victorian legal system of particular interest.

Outside of my compulsory activities, I have taken part in Karate for 10 years; achieving the highest standard of black belt. This experience has taught me about dedication and focus. I am an avid reader, and enjoyed reading G. Williams' 'Learning the Law' which addresses many issues facing a law student.

Helena Kennedy's 'Eve was Framed' opened my eyes to the problems facing women encountering the legal system, and I am currently reading J.A.G Griffiths' 'The Politics of the Judiciary'. I keep abreast of legal issues by doing background research and reading The Times' weekly legal supplement.

I was Managing Director of my Young Enterprise's (YE) Company entitled 'Starz'. YE is a national charity which educates young people through enterprise and business simulation.

As Director, I wrote a report which consequently won 'Best Company Report 2001'.

I was also the Managing Director of my school's team at the Business Challenge 2000. Having copious amounts of practice in managerial positions has helped boost my confidence, and improve my time-management skills.

From my experiences thus far, I feel that I would be greatly suited to university life. I am confident the social and academic lifestyle at university would allow me to develop as a person. I would like to become a solicitor and believe that a law degree will significantly aid me to achieve this goal.

This personal statement was written by jumahumour for application in 2003.

jumahumour's university choices
Oxford University
The University of Warwick
University of Bristol
The University of Nottingham
University of Exeter
The University of Reading

Statement rating:***

el oh el

"I didn't read passed the word "learnt"... that's not the correct spelling."

I didn't read past the word "passed"... that's not the correct spelling.

come on people move on....

come on people move on.... this person has put his PS online for ur help and if you don't like it then don't read! but u people do not have any right to Criticise so badly about it coz itz his PS not urs.

the way everyone citicised

the way everyone citicised this PS was sooo rude! those who commented rudely....hope u people have done well for ur own PS!

OMG

oh my god.....ppl r supossed 2 encourage, not critisize

anyway, u got the course and dats all dat matters

gud luck 4 da future

btw, my personal statement was similar to yours and today i am a practicing barrister.

i dont think you should worry

i dont think you should worry what people have to say, looks like you are very keen within law sector. good personal statment, need a little change i do agree on that.

heya

hey it is a shame dat u dint get a place but wv ur personal statement i fink u will get a well gud degree and get a benefit owta dat!!!gud luk in da future n fanx 4 insyt!

This is a strong personal

This is a strong personal statement by the looks of it, but I would say you need to show a desire for law more than just extensive preparation for it.

aload of BULL****

aload of BULL****

you are such an unonsidering

you are such an unonsidering person how cud u jus tlk abwt sumone else's personal life without their permition 2 do so i fink da woz rude and referring to oda people karaote dat waz a bit ott but overall if you had explained your self more abwt your pation oda dan being ott dat wud hve been an amazing personal statement

you are such an unconsidering

you are such an unconsidering person how cud u jus tlk abwt sumone else's personal life without their permition 2 do so i fink da woz rude and referring to wot oda people said karaote dat waz a bit ott but overall if you had explained your self more abwt your pation oda dan being ott dat wud hve been an amazing personal statement

I don't mean to sound rude at

I don't mean to sound rude at all, and I'm sorry if it does, but I can't believe he got an award for highest gcse results with the grades he got! He only got 2A*s and also got a B and a C???? When he mentioned the award I was expecting 13A*. Sorry.

Gd statement

Gd statement

WOW

Wow! Well, for all it's worth I was extremely impressed with your personal statement. Perhaps it's wise to ignore some of the overcritical strangers who left rude and unconstructive comments.

It seems you have done everything worth doing and you clearly demonstrated your enthusiasm for law. So why then did Oxford and Cambridge not offer you a place??? Did you at least get an interview? Did you get high enough grades?

James

RE: 'learnt'

Just a note to the guy/girl who commented saying how he/she didn't read past the word 'learnt' for it was spelt incorrectly. 'Learnt' & 'Learned' can be both used in the same context. 'Learnt' is common in British English language, 'Learned' is common in American English language.

Try not to be too sharp, you may just cut yourself.

I like this PS, and it has

I like this PS, and it has helped me to write my own.

A lot of the comments are really unfair though. It takes a very long time to perfect the personal statement, I've been working on mine for weeks to make it perfect. I think some people need to have some respect.

well done

i know its really old but i found this statment very useful but just one criticism. you shouldnt mention details about the case

hi my names nahida munir...im

hi my names nahida munir...im really struggling to wright my personal statement. i was wondering if you could help me out a bit??...please could you email me.. nahida.munir@hotmail.co.uk. looking forward to hear from you.x

okay..

This PS has been copy pasted together from many other personal statements online. Just by doing a quick search on Google with some of the sentences from your letter, returns many hits that have merely had a word or two changed or are entirely the same.

It's a very lazy effort from you, and most universities will check these personal statements for plagiarism.

Anyone looking to write their PS should use this letter as an example of how not to write one.

You would have benefited from

You would have benefited from a better command of English. The actual reasons and experience listed make you sound like a good candidate for Law. The statement just needed someone to go through it with a red pencil deleting all the unnecessary and wince-inducing adjectives.

But n'er mind, you've managed to secure good offers and I'm sure you'll do well.

OK, first things first... Why

OK, first things first... Why the hell are there so many horrible, disrespectful comments?! They are not needed at all. I agree with being critical and all but seriously, enough with the hate already. I'm writing my personal statement to study Law at uni, and to be honest you lot have put me off that mine won't be good enough.

As for the PS, I think it's a good example, with some very strong points.
Well done :) x

This is a very good attempt

This is a very good attempt of a personal statement. You have met all the criteria for what is expected in a personal statement. Personally i would revise the english grammar, but as an admissions tutor this ps would have been successful! Ignore the bad comments, they're just jealous its better than theirs!

Mashallah very good :)

Mashallah very good :)

Pages