Law Personal Statement Example 58

I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

My father had always told me my career destined in the profession of Law; I had of course been ignorant to this. Thinking the only reason he had told me so was to carry the family tradition, as he was one himself. However, once I was left to discover myself, I went and battled the book ‘GCSE LAW’ by Jacqueline Martin. In it, I found myself.

Law is a subject that concerns all aspects of life...

Injustice is all around us. Just open the daily newspaper or switch your TV channel to the news. Words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, speeches containing devastating conflicts ranging from massacres to rape to celebrity divorce flow out. Who ought to be punished? Who ought to be free? For me, only the law can decide.

These experiences have served to strengthen my desire to work for the institution which brings about equity to all. Law provides the freedom, opportunity and choice to live; be it for an individual or the country as a whole.

A government should always be constructed according to the law. Public administrations, the army and the police force should also be constructed under the law. Money, an essential part of one’s life and a country’s existence emerges from financial sectors, which should be constructed and operate according to the law. For me, life on earth still exists because of the law. These experiences have served to strengthen my desire to work for the institution which brings about equity to all.

The subjects that I currently study at St. Dominic’s Sixth Form College are essay based and require one to analyse and zoom into every detail which, in the law profession, is what one is required to do. Psychology, being a people person, is perfect as it describes human behaviour in order to understand how and why we as humans behave the way we do.

Through history and religious studies, I have greatly enhanced my analytical and writing skills. I have learnt how to express my points economically whilst generating, in most situations, several conclusions. Therefore, these subjects do set me prepared for the law degree that I would, with passion, want to take on further in university and further on.

For a work experience placement, I worked in Woolworths for two weeks. I have, from these two weeks, learnt more than I had expected as this was the first time I had set myself out into the world of work. It gave me the ability to communicate with unfamiliar people under a variety of circumstances. At the present, I volunteer at a local Cancer Research UK shop. This, I find much more enjoyable than I thought. I have learnt how to approach people of different ages and at times be able to discuss current affairs and social issues.

I am also a form representative of CAFOD, a charity that helps the needy in a developing country, Ethiopia. As I was born in the country myself, I have adequate knowledge of the unfortunates of factors that cause problems including poverty like nature and the injustice of the government. Therefore, I strongly believe that I have acquired valuable skills and experience as a result of these ventures; qualities which I hope would contribute significantly to a promising career studying law at university.

In the time that I spare, I enjoy reading factual and fictional books. ‘Ugly’ and ‘Beyond Ugly’, based on a true story, by Constance Briscoe, whereby a journey of a young woman becoming a lawyer is demonstrated have played a great role in inspiring me unto my desire to become a lawyer; patience is a virtue.

The book ‘Noughts And Crosses’ by Marolie Blackman and the following three parts built an image in my head of what it feels and is to be living in an unjust society; further encouraging me to fight injustices and bring about a change. Activity wise, I am part of one of the biggest Zumba fitness classes around London and weekly participate in order to free my mind and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am also a practicing Orthodox Christian and take part in organising conferences and special church festivals at my church. When I could spare quite a lot of time, I participate in the church choir too.

I am a happy person and thank the creator for what I have in life and strongly maintain my beliefs: I have a potential in life and the only way to fulfil it is to carry on with my passion in studying law at university and going into the profession of becoming a lawyer. I am positively looking forward to join your university which I believe would give me both the educational and social life that I will be comfortable with.

Has the jury reached a verdict?

This personal statement was written by Strawberries for application in 2011.

Strawberries's Comments

So here is the first draft of my personal statement...tell me what yall fink :)

(:

Coolio! This is really good, totally sensed your passion and commitment. However first and last lines are a tad on the cheesey side?

hmmmmmm

hmmm, sensing deja vu here, pretty sure i've seen the first and last line before..?

CRINGE

CRINGE