Fine Art Personal Statement Example

I feel no discomfort in presenting my most vulnerable self through my artwork.

A Fine Art degree will provide opportunities to receive thought-provoking critique from both peers and professional artists. I hope to research theoretical aspects that will influence my pieces, while discovering my style as a contemporary artist.
The themes encountered throughout my work explore Dreams, Visual Art and Fluids as well as Ugliness - focusing on the audience's interpretation of Aesthetic and what is “taboo”.

At age Fifteen, I viewed Rene Magritte's “The Sixteenth of September'' at the Musée Magritte, Brussels. The metaphorical silence I heard from viewing this final painting left me in tears. These specific paintings show an acceptance of the ending of his life, an aspect I find admirable. The human acceptance of a comatose state is evident in a series of my sculptures based on the theme of “sleep”; restful expressions are at peace with being one with the bedding as they are lost within the surface.

Over the course of A-level, I adapted to balancing three creative coursework subjects. Studying Photography and Creative Media alongside Fine Art, allowed me to combine my knowledge on moving image and composition with my art portfolio.

On the surface, my work appears gestural, highly detailed and full of life, complemented with stimulating colour palettes of complimentary tints. These initial visuals contrast with my intense and deep themes and meanings behind my art. While creating my pieces, I aspire to display similar levels of provocative, visceral imagery as photographer Maisie Cousins. My passion and drive led to the discovery of my individual photographic style as I explored the theme of ‘Ugliness’, which increased my Photography grade from a D to an A within three months. My critical thinking behind Cousins’ themes and ideas helped me establish concepts that intrigue, yet disgust audiences. This is what makes my art so refreshing. Researching the history of Yonic art helped inform my Fine Art work, represented through my contemporary sculptures, much like how Georgia O’keefe represented the Yoni in her own subjective way. Receiving critique has given me the opportunity to reflect and improve my pieces. Planning and delivering a children’s art workshop during my work experience with Wiltshire Creative was insightful, as I view delivering workshops as an aspect in my future career.

This year I will balance the demands of a Foundation Art diploma with those of my small business and part-time job. I sell and create stylised jewellery dishes and crochet accessories in my online shop, influenced by my personal investigation theme of “dreams”. The focus for my shop is not to make money, but to advertise my work and to communicate with customers interested in my pieces. My dedication to my portfolio is shown through my conceptual sketchbook work produced on a daily basis. In my Foundation year, I’ll have access to a kiln so I can create my contemporary sculptures in a new and developed medium. I look forward to the development of my art in response to the foundation year’s structure of interpreting briefs.

Recently my interests have been centred around researching the Hijra community in India - A close-knit transgender group dating back thousands of years, harshly impacted by colonial rules. My curiosity about this topic derives from my mixed-race and transgender identity. Recently I attended Larry Achiampong’s ‘Wayfinder’ exhibition at the Baltic, allowing me to see how another artist portrays Western colonisation. As well as this, viewing and analysing Indian artist - Pushmamala N.'s ‘The arrival of Vasco Da Gama’ at Tate Modern connected to my strong views specifically.

The structure of the Fine Art degree is parallel to my practice and the way I think. My meticulous and complex way of working is evident when viewing my art. My pieces combine my dreams, experiences and identity in a self-conscious approach. In the future, I strive for my vibrant creations to inspire others as I continue to explore my personal dreamscape and identity.

this is my fourth draft! applying for 2024 and for Oxford. I just want to hear people's thoughts. :) (Please note this is over the line limit currently)