Film Studies Personal Statement Example 5

Storytelling is the most powerful form of communication there is. It makes us laugh and cry, changes our views of the world, shapes our personalities and defines us as humans. Because I believe that no form of storytelling is as powerful as film, I want to be part of the film industry...

As a child, I would come out of the cinema believing I was the character from the film, adopting their mannerisms, pretending I had their powers. The escapism gave me a powerful sense of happiness that stayed with me; and I realised that I wanted to bring that same joy to others. This inspired me to use my first camera phone to make movies composed of lots of short video clips of my toys. The results weren't Spielberg standard, but they sparked that same happiness, and that's all that mattered.

During GCSE and A levels, I developed a greater understanding of how the film industry worked. Immersing myself into articles, documentaries and videos, such as DVD's special features and Film4 interviews that explained the workings of Hollywood, TV companies and freelancing, I came to realise that directing was the one thing that I wanted to do in my life. Scriptwriting, film analysis, song writing and photography became regular hobbies, and I became influenced by directors and their techniques: like Scorsese's narrative over voice; Spielberg's use of camera angles; and Seth MacFarlane's shocking in-your-face comedy. My first taste of the production process came from my Media AS Level when I wrote, directed and edited my first short film about the dangers of mobile phone obsession for an assignment brief, and helped fellow students' productions. I invested most of my money on film equipment and, when short of funds, built my own stabiliser and dolly rigs. The film was highly praised by tutors for its camera angles, trick photography and special effects.

Studying A Level photography has enhanced my technical skills with cameras, lighting and editing software and trained my eye in aesthetics, motivation and composition; especially after studying Stanley Kubrick's filmic style of photography. Studying English at A Level has strengthened my writing and analytical skills, allowing me to interpret texts and undertake assignments with ease. I'm currently working on two short films; a dark comedy/psychological thriller for my Media A Level and a post pandemic film, which I'm making independently. For these I am using my Canon 600d and Zoom and Rode microphones, editing on professional software such as Premiere Pro and After Effects for film and Photoshop CS6 for stills. I will also be helping out with two local production companies (Kinetal Productions and Dan Flanders) that are filming for Argos and Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival, providing me with professional on-set experience using key skills and professional equipment. I currently work as a retail assistant and have enrolled in the NCS and D-of-E (obtaining my gold award) boosting my key skills in team working, commitment and communication, all of which are crucial to filmmaking.

I know that by surrounding myself with a community of minds as creative and passionate as mine, I can experiment and find my unique style. I yearn to learn and collaborate alongside other filmmakers, under the guidance of experienced professionals, working together as a unit, playing different roles under one force to make something wonderful. I want to work in the film industry, and feel that this disciplined way of learning is truest to the profession, and an engaging film production course is the best option to secure my entry into the world of film.

Through the degree course, I intend to develop further my technical and artistic skills, deepen my knowledge in a wide range of specialisms and learn from other filmmakers, in order to expand my own vision and reach my full potential. I look forward to my future career as a film director, knowing that this university will help me to achieve this aspiration.