Criminology Personal Statement Example 11

As a child that's grown up in a generation of rising media and social networking I have been constantly bombarded with news reports of horrific crimes, mysterious disappearances and underlying criminal issues within society that have taken place over countless centuries, and appear to shape our culture. We have become detached to the occurrence of these unforgivable offences that are taking place every single day. I feel the need to explore further, through studying criminology, what causes an individual to carry out these atrocities in hope of preventing future felonies.

In the pre-18th century, explanations for crime had religious underpinnings wherein no personal responsibility was taken. After watching many documentaries such as the 'Solved' documentary series, one particular case that interested me was the case of Michelle Blair, who murdered two of four of her children as she believed that they were not hers and instead were "children of the devil". After completing a number of tests with psychologists, it was concluded that she was culpable and ready to stand trial. If this woman was sane then why did she commit such an unthinkable crime? Was Blair born evil? Could the reason as to why she did this lie in the historical explanations? An urge for finding answers to such thought-provoking questions has drawn me towards studying this highly perceptive course.

My step-mother worked for many years within the courts on domestic abuse cases; interviewing both her and her colleagues about their experiences in conjunction with visits to the public gallery of my local crown court has given me both the experience of witnessing defendants being questioned and has revealed to me how the study of crime and criminology can be applied to the 'real world'. Studying psychology A-Level has encouraged me to research more about the criminal mind and the subject has motivated me to look further into the field of crime. In my spare time, I listen to the podcast "Case File" which talks about true crimes that have taken place. I've also read many books such as 'Stolen Girl' and 'A History of British Serial Killing' which have aided my knowledge on both current and longstanding crimes. Having studied English language and literature has given me vital time management skills along with the facility to write strong essays which will play an essential role in my life at university.

Moreover, I have been part of the newspaper club for four years, and have written multiple articles and interviewed pupils, teachers and authors alike such as Diane Samuels. I was later made head of the club which taught me teamwork and management skills as well as giving me confidence in talking to strangers. The position also gave me leadership qualities and encouraged me to take other views and opinions into consideration in order to enable myself to work within a successful team. Along with this I was Form Captain for five years, consolidating my abilities as a leader. I was also chosen to interview possible staff members in their second stage of recruitment and then give feedback on their interview. I was required to look at body language and non-verbal communication in order to gain a better understanding of them as a person, which has helped me to evaluate body language especially in situations when suspects can reveal themselves in tense court situations. Travel plays a significant role in my life; I can speak basic Latin, French, and Spanish and am currently teaching myself Indonesian.

I have been fortunate enough to travel around a variety of countries in Europe which has educated me on the different cultures. This has aided my understanding of national and continental laws and the impact of such laws on crime rates. I feel that learning about the nature of crime within these cultures has helped me prepare for my future career goals to work abroad in America, within their criminal justice system.

This is my criminology personal statement; I didn't think it was that great but I got all five uni offers from it so it must be okay :)
Offers from: Liverpool (Firm), Liverpool John Moores (Insurance) - as you can tell I really want to go to Liverpool, Chester, Aberystwyth and Brighton