Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

Criminology and Sociology Personal Statement

Do you ever think about what your purpose in life is?
Being of a British African background the statistics don't always paint a rosy picture. They
display a high level of educational underachievement and criminality. It's a pleasing concept
to know that I am not part of this statistic. Recently I had a heated debate on David
Starkey's comment 'the whites have become black' but failed to come to a conclusion as to
whether black people are socialised differently as they are over represented in the prison
population. Why are black people in society more likely to be involved in criminal acts? Is it
due to cultural differential socialisation? What can I do to help improve my community?
Questions such as these have inspired me to work with young offenders engaging them into
schemes that prevent them from re-offending. I would particularly enjoy a career in the HM
Prison Service. To achieve these goals my first destination is university and to make this
possible, I have chosen a criminology based degree.
I have gained an entry level qualification into youth work which was a good introduction into
my chosen career.It has taught me how to communicate effectively with young people from tough
backgrounds; for example children in care. During this course I had the opportunity to enhance
my presentation and debating skills which will be useful for the course. Recently I have
developed more interest in criminology which has led me to wider reading for example
'Criminological Perspectives: Essential Readings' book. Through this I have learnt about
victimisation, characteristics of criminal behaviour and groups who are more vulnerable to
crime. Continually I have worked with my local careers service on the youth forum for young
people 'Not In Employment, Education or Training' (NEETS), improving their confidence. Many of
the youths had been excluded from school. This has enabled me to be more open-mided and
patient. I believe these skills can be transferable to the prison service; offenders need
someone who listens to them without prejudging them. During the last summer holidays I did an
internship with the police. This taught me more about taking responsibility; for example as
team leader during my internship I had to take charge of my team's whereabouts the tasks
required heavy analysis and in depth evaluation which will be useful when studying criminal
cases. This will be of great importance especially when on placements where difficult
situations may arise such as working with drug addicts.
I realise the importance of communication and interpersonal skills especially when assessing
arguments from a different points of view. This has inspired me to take an active role in my
community such as participation on outreach programmes with my church and also contributing to
sponsoring a child through my youth group with the charity 'Compassion'. My current studies in
Psychology and Sociology have influenced my outlook on life; this has broadened my essay
writing and analytical skills which will be very useful especially when conducting research on
how societies react to crime and victimisation.
University is not just a place that will broaden my horizons but I will be able to further
extend my personal interests, such as joining societies which the university has. I am keen to
pursue my hobbies such as dance, singing and acting. The greatest achievement in life is
helping others achieve their goals. It is especially rewarding as I got the opportunity to
mentor a student with personal issues that were affecting their school life, at my current
school. This has encouraged me to be more open-minded about different situations that may
arise and deal with them carefully and sensitively. Resourceful, independent, hardworking and
resilient, are words that I would use to describe my work ethic. The demanding nature of a
joint honours degree will motivate me to success, and a useful career, not just for me but for
society in general.

This personal statement was written by FaithW for application in 2012.

FaithW's university choices
University of Brighton
Coventry University
The University of Liverpool
The University of Stirling
Coventry University

Degree
Criminology and Sociology at The University of Liverpool

FaithW's Comments

I got an Offer from Liverpool so far just waiting for the other four courses

Too many rhetorical questions

Too many rhetorical questions