Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

UCAS International Student Visa & Documents

When you arrive in the UK, you must show certain documents and declare your intentions to study as a student to the immigration officer. You will need:

  • a valid passport
  • a visa (if you are a visa national)
  • a letter from the institution that confirms you have been accepted unconditionally for a full-time course
  • evidence that you have enough money to pay for your course.

It may take some time to get all of these documents, so you should start as early as possible by checking the website of the Visa Application Centre or the UK Border Agency - Visa Services website guidance for students.

This will enable you to find out what documents you will need, how to get them and where to get them from. Guidance information for international students is available from UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs).


Visit the UK Visas and Immigration website to find out whether you need a visa to study in the UK.


All visa applicants are required to submit their biometric details. For more information about this programme, click here.

What happens if I do not require a visa?

If you are not a visa national, you do not need a visa to come into the UK, but you may need an entry clearance.

You may also want to contact the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in the country where you live, or where no VAC is in operation, the British Embassy or High Commission, to confirm that you will be able to come to the UK as a student.

You can read more information on the UKCISA immigration page.