Sociology and Law Personal Statement Example

I have chosen to study a combined honours degree in sociology and law as I feel that they are two very compatible combinations, which complement each other well. I believe that taking this degree is appropriate for me as it will help broaden my career options and also provide me with flexibility and variety.

These subjects are rooted in the fascination I have for sociology and law. Sociology for me uses engaging ideas connected with my interest in society, race, gender and class, in order to make sense of the world around us and our place in it; it attempts to be objective and critical.

I am especially keen on the modules on policy intervention, social policy in a post-colonial context and delivering social welfare in the 21st century. Law would give me the insight into the criminal justice process which I desire.

I've taken a keen interest in the study of the welfare state and the post war consensus. I find it interesting on how welfare was brought about, its original purpose and the different perspectives on the welfare state.

I am deeply impressed with the degree programme at the University of East London, especially with the personal development route which focuses on the individual's strengths in each module.

This also offers a more practical way of learning as I feel I would be more competent with this learning style. I enjoy problem solving so this would seem to be the right route of education. I am also excited about the idea of doing a work placement whilst on this course as I believe it will give me a genuine insight into organisations and institutions.

Studying sociology and law will provide me with a deeper understanding into complex issues also with a view to developing my ideas using my own initiative. After completing my studies I plan to go into a role where I can use my academic knowledge to help others, eg working with Social services and dealing with young offenders.

At present I am studying fulltime, also taking advantage of the Learning Resource Centre and the Student Support Services, to enable me to gain the best possible credits in my subjects. In preparation for university life I have attended open evenings at various universities where I have spoken to current students and course tutors.

I have also researched about finance and student resources, and feel that I am developing the knowledge and skills that will help me at university. Prior to starting my course in Access to social sciences, I spent nine years working in the NHS and private practice (2000-2009) as a qualified special care dental nurse and 8 months in dental administration.

In this time I've worked with people from all different walks of life. During this period I gained valuable knowledge and skills in delivering exceptional customer services to the general public and professionals. I have an Ability to communicate effectively face to face and over the phone at all levels. I have learnt the importance of relating well to others to build strong working relationship.

Working under pressure developed through working as a Special Care Receptionist of a fast paced NHS Hospital environment. Taking accurate notes on complaints and passing on information within a given time span. I worked effectively within a team environment where I took responsibility for my assigned tasks, assisted team colleagues and liaised with other departments and external services.

I participated in department meetings and gave my views on relevant topics. I demonstrated the ability to prioritise my work load and was also able to adapt well to different working environments, which enabled me to take on a supervisory role, in the absence of the practice manager. I instructed and organised staff, and also managed the day to day running of the clinics.

As a mature student I understand the commitment I will have to put in, in attending and completing my degree. I am a mother of two age seven and three, I have worked and studied from the time my eldest was 6 months old.

This personal statement was written by susieparker for application in 2010.