Social Work Personal Statement Example 18

I’m applying for the social work course because of my personal experience. I know that being a social worker is very challenging, lot of hard work but a rewarding career all the same.

This profession deals with social problems in human relation, empowerment, liberation and well-being of the people you are trying to help. Being a social worker means being fully committed to help and support the people through these very difficult personal problems.

I have been taking care of my Grandma since I was 10 years old at a time when she was suffering from Alzheimer syndrome.

I helped her through her daily routine such as personal hygiene, going out to the local park as well as our weekly visit to the church. While caring for my grandma, I also witnessed the alcohol addiction of my father which was affecting his mental health, changing his physical behaviour and appearance.

After years of alcohol addiction my father died of heart attack, leaving only my mother to raise myself and my two younger sisters.

It was never easy for our mother to be our sole parent and provider, but t she never gave up and continued to give more than enough love, care and attention to each of us. These are the main reason why I want to pursue to finish my study and to become a social worker.

I’m currently working as a Health care assistant at Stepping Hill Hospital. I have been with Stepping Hill for almost 5 years now, during which time, my duties are to monitor the patients’ vital signs and assist them on their daily basic care needs.

I have attended multiple training courses at my work such as mandatory training and dementia training which helped me develop more knowledge as well as the abilities in manually handling and support of patients suffering from these types of illness. Most of all, we as a Care Assistant needs to have the ability to listen and built a trust with the patients and their family.

I have completed my NVQ Level 3 in health and social care and I’m currently finishing my Access Course to Higher Education in Social work at Stockport College.

The subjects the access course consists of Social Work, Psychology and Sociology, all of which I find interesting, as well as very enlightening. With all things considered, I truly feel that I can make good difference as a social worker.

This personal statement was written by hanlee08 for application in 2012.

hanlee08's Comments

HI guys, its my fist time making my own PS for ucas ...please feel free to comment....just need an opinion about my PS...thanks