Psychology Personal Statement Example 36

To say that I've been interested in psychology since I was young would be a lie. For a long time I've been interested in the natural sciences and wrote psychology off as a subject with little scientific merit.

However this has proved to be a lack of knowledge on my part after applying for the International Baccalaureate (IB) in 2006.

Unfortunately the course was dismissed by my school after a lack of interest however this only fuelled my enthusiasm as I was intrigued to know as to why so many people were unwilling to commit.

Thankfully my school still offered the A-level course and thus I was still able to study the subject where I discovered psychology to be a relevant but distinct subject with just as much importance as traditional sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics.

After my AS-level exams; my school organised a fortnight of 'problem solving' which involved a business-related problem or task being given to a group with the aim of them finding an suitable answer.

It was especially interesting to see how the group developed and went through the so called “four stages” - forming, storming, norming and performing.

It was also intriguing to see some people fired up by the heat of competition and upping their game to that of a champion whilst others withered away.

I am also heavily involved in athletics and have often considered that the most important aspects of sport are motivation and the mental processes the occur leading up to and during the event.

My sport has also allowed me to develop discipline, determination and a work ethic which I believe I bring to all aspects of life. It has also enabled me to face and overcome mental challenges which serve me well.

I generally regard myself to be a person with a strong belief and desire to succeed and someone who would really go to great lengths to achieve. I believe that I would be a great asset to your university and I look forward to seeing you in the near future.

This personal statement was written by google for application in 2009.

google's Comments

I'd really like to hear what people think of this draft - I know it's a bit short but I hope to add to it with suggestions.

...

I don't think universities would take kindly for you slagging off Psych saying it has little scientific merit, although you DO say you were wrong, they may interpret it as the belief which has stuck with you for years!

In all honesty, it sounds like you're writing a letter! Make it personal, introduce why you like Psychology, any areas you take an interest in, what you have gained from this.

Do anything related to Psych off the syllabus? Always a bonus. Do the normal skills and put them in like everyone else does.

Conclude with a passing sentence about what you want to do after completion of your degree, the transferable skills you will have gained, what you have to offer.

Sounds blunt but you can do it. :]