Politics Personal Statement Example 46

I was lucky enough to be born into a political household; campaigning for the local Labour party and attending union marches from a young age fostered in me a burning enthusiasm to one day be in the position to improve the lives of people both in my community and others. This is why I've chosen to study politics both in and outside the classroom.

It was at a debate chamber course, hosted by UCL, that at age fourteen I competed with participants four years my senior in debates and public speaking. On the final day, I was elected leader of the opposition by my peers in a mock house of commons and initiated multiple
defeats of the mock majority government.

Building on that experience, I was selected to represent my school in the Jack Petchey "Speak Out" public speaking competition where I referred to Rutger Bregman's book "Utopia for Realists" and works of the Fabian Society in discussing the disconnect between innovative policymakers and a politics weary of change. In both of these, I've developed critical thinking, debating, and public speaking skills, all of which I plan to build on at university.

In the classroom, my politics A-level has revealed to me the key thinkers in politics and particularly educated me in the history of feminism as a political movement. I've developed valuable evaluation skills which have been useful in judging sources' validity and evaluating
the biases and viewpoints of key thinkers.

Criminology and Sociology have allowed me to study social science research methods and develop a critical eye for their validity. Also from these two qualifications, I've developed experience of module-based learning from criminology and an academic understanding of social and public policy from sociology.

Recently, I've titled my EPQ: "How and why is local government done differently in the US, UK, and Iraq and how effective is it in achieving its goals in these countries?" Local government is not only a subject of interest but also a career aspiration. As part of the EPQ, I expect
to gain real-world research skills and experience as well as first-hand knowledge of meeting academic deadlines outside the classroom whilst also getting used to learning independently.

An inspiration for my EPQ was how much I thoroughly enjoyed "Why We Get the Wrong Politicians" by Spectator columnist Isabelle Hardman. The book effectively communicates how MPs are given near-zero support, causing those talented outside the legislature to never reach their full potential in scrutinising and drafting legislation.

The book has provided the knowledge required to analyse political systems and evaluate their alternatives and reforms, whilst also informing me of the social and economic causes and consequences of such structures. This insight into the mechanisms of comparative politics will be invaluable to both my EPQ and the foundational modules I'll study in my first year at university.

In my free time, I train in mixed martial arts (MMA) with an emphasis on Thai kickboxing. This has allowed me to develop cooperative skills with training partners from a variety of backgrounds and the critical thinking skills required to apply techniques as demonstrated. Adopting a new sport has allowed me to develop resilience in the face of changing circumstances and excel nonetheless.

To be in the position am I now, where I have the opportunity to study at a university as prestigious as your own is something I do not take for granted; I'm looking forward to studying at a department as respected as yours and hope to make the most of any opportunity
granted to me.

I'd love to know what anyone thinks, I always thought it was a little short even though its 47 lines, and hope maybe it can help people applying in the future. I've applied for King's, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, and Leeds