Photography personal statement

It is estimated that within the two hundred independent countries of the world there are 6800
different spoken languages, creating a huge expanse of language barriers, hand signals and
lost translations. However, within this mass of worldwide confusion, pictures and photography
can still be understood universally. Maybe it's a cliched point to prove, but personally I
think this underlines the concept that a picture can (with no specified language) speak a
thousand words to a thousand different people. I find this idea of global understanding deeply
fascinating and it is one reason among many which has propelled me towards the study and
creation of photography and the visual arts.

From a young age I have had an interest in pictures and drawing, which developed, as I got
older into an interest in textiles and a love of fashion. From this I decided to do an
introductory course at The London College of Fashion, and it was there that my idea to pursue
a career in photography and art direction first occurred. I found that although I was
interested in the logistics and business side of the fashion industry it was the compositions,
vibrant images and individuality of the advertising campaigns that truly inspired me. Studying
photography at A-level I have learnt the importance of individual style and personal reading;
seeing this put into practice in magazines and adverts led me to decide that with the aid of
higher education I wanted to go on and work with photography and advertising.

I have always had a flair for business, completing GCSE, AS and A level exams with a
high-grade average. I have learnt the importance of finances and budget restraints, which I
think is a very valuable lesson to learn. By studying English Language I have been able to
improve my writing skills and expand my knowledge of the way in which words can be used to
influence and explain. I have found both these subjects to have aided me with various
independent projects and have increased my understanding and ability to perform at a high
level in different areas. When I joined The Henley College I began working and learning with a
wide range of different people from different backgrounds, it was a large change from the
structured life of an all girls grammar school. However, I found moving to this environment
and a new way of education highly liberating, I was able to adjust very quickly, both socially
and to the educational practices. From this experience I learnt to be very open to new
opportunities and places, which has helped me with the projects and jobs I have done.

There are a large range of skills required when working in commercial photography- an example
of these being networking and perseverance. In order to gain a wider perspective into the
challenges of this as a career, as well as my subject coursework, I have done freelance work
on a number of occasions including photographing private events and parties. I found these
jobs to be more subjective as I had to work to a very specific brief with tight deadlines; the
results of such experiences I have found to be highly positive. I have learnt to compromise
with difficult clients and have had one of my photographs printed in BCFA member directory as
part of an advertising campaign. However, the biggest learning curve I experienced was when
observing work at a professional studio it was here I witnessed the patience and communication
skills needed to become a successful art director. I think by working with lens-based media at
a degree level I will be further towards gaining the attributes needed for this area of work.
From university I hope to go on to and work within the photography and creative advertising
industry. I know the skills necessary are both creatively and academically challenging, but
due to my ambition, social ability and general love of photography, I think it is definitely
something I could excel at, given the opportunity.

This personal statement was written by helenlucy for application in 2000.

Statement rating:***

Comment by guest at 15:29 13/12/2007

sounds and looks like a copy and paste jobby

Comment by guest at 21:07 10/01/2008

The start is simply outstanding.

Wow by guest at 14:05 14/05/2008

You learn something everyday!

Comment by guest at 13:35 20/09/2008

That opening paragraph is beautiful, you should be very proud of it!

hmm by guest at 09:39 23/09/2008

Opening paragraph is very cliche..

anything but cliche by guest at 12:01 23/09/2008

better than stating with the usual "i have always been interested in ________."

Comment by guest at 14:26 1/10/2008

its not really outstanding lets not get carried away

Comment by guest at 12:50 15/10/2008

i reckon its a really good statement. i bet she got into the uni she was applying for! (i so need to copy and paste this, but i know i can't!!)

Comment by guest at 18:37 23/10/2008

she says she studied english language hence why the girl can clearly write! and i don't know where you think it was copied and pasted from because i've been looking for photography personal statements online for a while and this is the first one i've come across and if this girl was nice enough to put it up i don't think you should be abusing it! it's hardly constructive critism in fact i think it's quite pathetic as some of you clearly couldn't ever produce something like this.

Comment by guest at 22:08 5/11/2008

Lets hope her pictures lived up to her mind

Comment by guest at 13:39 12/11/2008

personally i thin kit's stunning, i love the opening and explains the passion well. anyone who says it's rubbish- how about you post you one, we can compare?!haha, thats what i thought. i think its outstanding. caught my attention! Love to see more if anyone is offering?

Comment by guest at 11:54 29/12/2008

Impressive, however a little impersonal perhaps? Not much character, apart from it being obvious she's a good writer! But I imagine it's exactly what they wanted to hear, overall it's excellent!

Comment by guest at 22:33 3/02/2009

It is written quite well but - it comes across quite close-minded as even just by culture, different things could be perceieved so completely differently, some hand signs for example can mean completely different things in different places..

Comment by guest at 15:14 6/03/2009

im busy writing my personal statement so thought id find some examples of others to help, and this has totally depressed me, mine is rubbish in comparison :(

Comment by guest at 18:18 10/03/2009

Ehh this is too business based for a photography degree, sounds like they're not that into the art side of it. The beginning is so clichéd, that just textbook material when reading about what photography means. it bores a reader. also "sum ppl actually DO have fantastic english skills", yes ¬_¬ that is why you wrote sum and ppl....

copyied and pasted by guest at 11:43 17/03/2009

you can tell straight away that it has all been copied and pasted !!

wehey by guest at 14:09 7/10/2009

this personal statement is class, would like to c more dont no y ppl r critising it

Comment by guest at 10:01 9/10/2009

oh dear lord. why do people get so aggravated on websites like this? if she did copy and paste, then she wont get away with it, if she didn't - which is perfectly likely - then congratulations. maybe stop worrying about other peoples ways of advertising themselves, and look out for yourself. this is a website aimed to help people. if this statement doesn't help you for what ever reason then just accept it and move on, no need to be vindictive. as for constructive criticism, the opening is good as it shows you have thought deeper into photography than 'i like pretty pictures', but maybe a little unoriginal? overall it is a good overview of your experience and it is good to see where you are aiming to go with the subject. it is a nice personal statement and i wish you luck :)

... by guest at 14:36 2/11/2009

LOL at the person that has written in capitals and said 'ANYFINK' and blatantly used this for themselves, they shouldn't be allowed into uni. I think this is very helpful, and is an anomaly to the cliche personal statement.

Comment by guest at 16:09 10/11/2009

wicked personal statement, helped me a lot when it came to structuring my own. thanks :)

Comment by guest at 16:24 11/01/2010

If I hadnt of read your personal statement i would have been officially doomed. It has helped me alot.

Comment by guest at 18:34 12/09/2010

the funny thing is that actually haven;t changed any of the wording for this you got it from a womans website , the name I sadly can't remember, you shouldn't get into university because this is illegal its called plagurism.

Comment by guest at 17:23 13/10/2010

Full of cliches - if one of my students wrote this, I'd make them start again. I agree that it sounds like a cut and paste job - if you type some of your sentences into Google, they come up on other sites. UCAS run regular plagiarism checks so I'd be very careful about what you choose to submit (this is a general comment to all - not necessarily just this statement).

Comment by guest at 18:53 24/10/2010

sorry but thats crap, the beginning is irrelavent, unis want to hear what you have done, what you have achieved, not how photography can be used in the world, i say this as a tutor, too much irrelavent blibber blabber.

Comment by guest at 18:24 21/03/2011

uhm it's IRRELEVENT!!! no wonder the education system is in such a state. je suis désolé prof mais vous ne pouvez pas épeler!

not unique by guest at 14:07 4/01/2012

Sure you say a few things of hat photography can do but you dont say what you are doing, its a personal sttatement about what you are doing and why you are doing, i didnt see any of this, how are we supposed to judje your ideas ? all you say is a vauge thing about what pictures can do! thats no good to anyone ! remember its a PERSONAL statement !