Mathematics and Engineering Personal Statement Example

Questions regarding the reason for my liking of mathematics have only one answer: mathematical logic and concepts contribute to a practical approach in every aspect of life.

It is the diversity and universal applicability of this subject that encourages me to delve further and study it in depth. It will provide a strong foundation for the range of careers that I wish to pursue after graduation.

Due to some problems I was not diligent student in grade 7 and 8. This affected my grades as expected. Based on those grades, my mathematics teacher advised me not to pursue Additional Mathematics at O levels.

Despite this discouragement, I decided to stick with my decision and work diligently during my O levels. I took this as a challenge and scored 8A’s in O level with an A in Additional mathematics at 98th percentile which was the highest in my school.

This inspiration encouraged me to sit for the entire A level Mathematic in the first year of my A level. Completing the entire subject in this reduced span and scoring an A grade was a cumbersome task but my aptitude for mathematics made complex problems seem interesting and finally allowed me to achieve an ‘A’ Grade in A level mathematics.

After all this I realised that throughout my life, I have always found a way to succeed, regardless of the obstacles placed before me. As a result, I am a firm believer that nothing could be taken for granted. I know that all that I accomplish and achieve must be earned.

More than just achieving good grades, I wanted to develop a practical approach to my professional life. I worked for a rice factory where I developed their entire website and managed the accounts. Although it was difficult to carry out the internship due to its location and my academic priorities but the calculations were challenging and rewarding to perform.

Apart from this I also got the chance to work for Net Sol Technologies Inc. as a web designer’s assistant. These valuable experiences taught me the importance of being adept with numbers and computers and have convinced me to pursue a related career.

I am the founder and the current president of the society for Information Technology at my college. As the President, I have been successful in grooming and budding new talent. I have also organized a number of I.T events including a graphic designing competition which was greatly appreciated by the participants of other schools.

This has polished my leadership qualities and has taught me the importance of working as part of a team. I have learned to successfully balance my academic and co-curricular activities and I wish to continue with the same zeal at university.

I look forward to an exchange of ideas as I pursue an education in the UK. I envision myself as an ambassador for my country who can promote the exchange of students and professionals between Europe and South Asia. While Pakistan develops rapidly, the scope for ambitious individuals remain limited.

This is particularly true in mathematics and its related areas, which I wish to pursue. But I believe that committed people like myself can use our foreign training to create more opportunities for talented individuals.
I have great passion for Mathematics and consider it integral to any career.

This education will not only give me the academic grounds to enter careers like actuarial science, financial mathematics and research, but the social experience in itself is something to look forward to.

I wish to continue my journey of learning at an institution with broad resources and diversity and then share my learning with millions that are deprived of a similar opportunity.

This personal statement was written by asnan449 for application in 2010.

asnan449's university choices
London School of Economics
The University of Sheffield
The University of Edinburgh
Cambridge University
University of Dundee