Share this page Twitter RSS Facebook

History and International Relations personal statement

'If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday.' - Pearl Buck. This quote
illustrates my enthusiasm and interest in history; you can be enlightened of the events of the
past, while furthering your understanding of the present. This degree will not only enable me
to advance my knowledge but also improve my analytical and evaluative skills.

My enjoyment of history and international relations has been fostered substantially by
education. Having an open minded attitude toward learning, I endeavoured to reflect this in my choice of subjects. World development has provided me with an entirely new insight into the
world and how it operates. The Marxist theory, 'The Communist Manifesto' Karl Marx, outlines
the causes of the inequalities present in society.

History has taught me how to discern that you cannot create future expectations without
acknowledgement of the past. History has forged the path for the current political, economic,
and social stature in every nation, influencing each individual decision made in international
relations. The critical analysis of 'Martin Luther King' by Godfrey Hodgson was a particularly
inspiring and insightful to me. It portrayed the struggle one must endeavour to create change
and commence development.

World Development and History are such spectacular subjects as they're fluid, foreign to the
concrete structure of maths or science; they can be disputed, probed and re-evaluated. They
are sculpted by personal judgement; to Harry Johnston colonization was a vital benchmark in
the creation of robust empires, yet to Karl Marx colonization saw the infliction of Western
culture thus acculturation for millions. As an avid reader I'm widely read on various
historical eras such as; The Ming dynasty, the Bolshevik revolution and the British Empire. In
addition I subscribe to the BBC History Magazine and the New Internationalist which keeps me
enthralled, as well as informed, on contemporary issues with each month's releases.

Studying English literature has required me to advance my skills in interpreting. 'Dancing at
Lughnasa' by Brian Friel involves contextual study of 1936 Ireland, the Catholic social
pressures and political unrest between Irish and English relations. Religious studies and
ethics has introduced me to current moral dilemmas, euthanasia and the case of Diana Pretty
who fought the courts in pursuit of an assisted death, and provided me with the ability to
debate and discuss them.

I am committed to maintaining a good level of fitness; badminton, the gym, and outdoor
activities such as kayaking have been a superb source of friends. Weekly meetings with
enthusiasts have given me a team and individual experience. Through a school trip to the
scenic region of the Rhineland, Germany, I was able to develop my leadership skills in
delegating and organising younger student activities. I take my democratic right to express my
opinions very seriously prompting me to join the school council. I've recently raises 429
pounds for cancer research through assisting the organisation of a charity fete in my home
village, its important you contribute to the community.

My zest for History and World Development, motivation, and optimistic outlook are integral
qualities for providing a good foundation for successful undergraduate life. I guarantee I
have the ability to undertake the challenges and opportunities of such disciplines at
university.

This personal statement was written by josh515 for application in 2010.

josh515's university choices
Nottingham Trent University
University of The West of England, Bristol
University of Brighton
University of Greenwich
The Manchester Metropolitan University

josh515's Comments

I think this personal statement is relatively well done, for my abilities anyway, ive listed the uni's im applying for and whether they've offered me or not below:

UWE Bristol - offer made
Nottingham trent - offer made
Manchester met - offer made
Brighton - interview invite
Greenwich - offer made

Statement rating:*****

liked it, I'm applying to

liked it, I'm applying to very similar universities. Can tell you were pleased putting it up here