History and Archaeology Personal Statement Example

The fine line that separates the present and past shows how significant each and every historical event is in shaping our future. Although I have been interested in many subjects during my education, history has always been at the forefront as it excites and motivates me the most. Studying the medieval period at AS level sparked an unrealised interest in archaeology. I was intrigued by the way historians were able to analyse the landscape and see, for example, evidence of a motte and bailey castle, where others would see a hill and ditch. I see archaeology as unwrapping layers of history and using forensic science to give accurate evidence and clues to the way our world used to be.

I have high standards and a strong work ethic. My achievements are an indication of this and show my flexibility to work to a consistently high level across many subject areas. My GCSE studies in geography have also given me a vital insight into early settlements, an intrinsic part of archaeological studies. Studying A level psychology has enabled me to comprehend another facet of history where events have been shaped by human behaviour.

The combination of A2 history and psychology has supported my development of writing balanced arguments and analytical skills when presented with evidence. Diverse as business studies may seem, knowledge of primary and secondary research techniques will put me in good stead when an assignment relies heavily on independent working and gathering information from a variety of sources and adopting a range of methods. This is exemplified by my additional school role as a Historical Librarian, where I have catalogued and organised resources and given advice including book recommendations.

Wanting to broaden my horizons, I have seized a wide range of opportunities in order to gain new experiences. Participating in the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme gave me the chance to support children in their learning and welfare at a local after-school club, and learn how to manage and run the school library. My leadership and team building skills were crucial to a successful expedition, especially when problem solving to overcome barriers, which I envisage to be useful on an archaeological site and during group presentations.

In addition, I have undertaken voluntary opportunities to support younger children’s education, by mentoring and paired reading. This was a rewarding experience and the evident improvement in the student’s attainment gave me a strong sense of personal satisfaction. After my successful application to be a prefect, I have participated in the organisation of many events to enrich students’ sixth form experience, and this is something I would relish continuing at university.

I have particularly enjoyed studying the Norman Conquest during my course, but I have also explored earlier periods through recent visits to The British Museum. I developed this passion for early history and archaeology one step further by volunteering my time at Piddington Roman Villa Museum. Here I had the opportunity to investigate archaeological finds from a local site, by assisting in the washing, marking and categorisation of pottery. I also had the chance to excavate the Roman site myself, where I discovered my own finds. This experience not only provided me with key skills and knowledge in the processes used in archaeology, but has secured my interests and desires to take my knowledge and understanding to a further level.

This personal statement was written by mrobync for application in 2012.

mrobync's university choices
The University of Birmingham
The University of Nottingham
The University of Kent
The University of Reading

mrobync's Comments

my interviewer did pick up that i used the wrong term when i said "forensic". however all my teachers loved my opening line ;)

Another Offer

It wouldn't let me add The University of Winchester, but I also received an offer from there which I put as my insurance place.