Engineering Personal Statement Example

Engineering offers us the chance to make the world a better, safer and more exciting place; this is what attracts me to the subject.

I am fascinated by how machines work, and in order to find out more I investigated the basic engineering involved in cars, such as the engine, the powertrain and superchargers.

Following this I explored the principles of flight after we briefly dealt with this topic in physics lessons. I also researched the achievements of engineers such as Brunel and Stephenson, and more recent projects like the Airbus A380 and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.

Following a university course in engineering, I hope to be able to develop new technologies which would benefit both the people and the planet. I am concerned about environmental issues such as climate change and pollution which are currently facing our world, and hope to use engineering to resolve these problems while also improving people's lives.

Throughout my time at school my interests in maths and science have developed, and I relish the opportunity of using mathematical and scientific techniques to solve real-life problems. In particular the mechanics modules have been very enjoyable.

Studying further mathematics has proved more demanding than I anticipated, but I have found the extra challenge very stimulating. Furthermore, it has shown me the extent to which mathematics is ultimately present in everything, and therefore a career where I could use mathematics greatly appeals to me. The IT-based nature of engineering will enable me to further my experience with computers.

I am involved in school life in areas other than academic. I have taken on increased responsibility in Year 13 as a prefect, and assist regularly at school concerts. I am keenly interested in the world around me: I read the Guardian daily and am also in the Philosophy Club at school, where we have discussed various topics including fundamentalism and the existence of God. I am a keen reader both of fiction and also to learn more about the world.

Music is a key part of my life. I like listening to various styles, particularly rock and electronica. I play violin and piano and have achieved Grade 8 on both instruments.

For seven years I was a member of a local orchestra and choir, and I now play violin in the County Orchestra and a local orchestra. In addition, I am a member of several school musical groups, including the Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Choir. Later in the year I will be conducting the orchestra, which should enhance my leadership skills.

I like to keep active, and enjoy football and swimming. In recent years I have participated in the Swimathon (5000m) to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Relief, and I will be doing this again next March.

At the weekend I work at a local supermarket. This has helped me in several ways - as well as the financial benefits, I am able to work well with other people and my confidence has increased.

Although I have not decided exactly which career I would like to follow, I am confident that the challenges offered by engineering appeal to me and will inspire me to do great things. Engineering has always been vital in developing the world, and is a field in which I would love to be involved.

This personal statement was written by charlie123 for application in 2007.

charlie123's Comments

Just make sure you put in anything that's relevant, really make yourself sound enthusiastic, get your mates to look through it and check it yourself before you send it! :-)

so so

this ps is rather dull and shyt

got 6 offers though so who

got 6 offers though so who cares?

All those offers were to

All those offers were to colleges of higher education no doubt.

this is low quality than

this is low quality than others

nah got offers from Imperial,

nah got offers from Imperial, Manchester etc

which unis did u get an offer

which unis did u get an offer from??

Imperial, Manc, Sheffield,

Imperial, Manc, Sheffield, Leeds, Brunel, Loughborough :D

Doesnt matter who made offers

Guys they'll only look at personal statement unless you've got the exact same mark as the other guy, so unles ya know what the other guy said, I wouldn't bother worrying yourselves too much

who are you to judge someone

who are you to judge someone elses personal statement?

This personal statment is good ACTUALLY!

To be perfectly honest mate, i think you should keep your opinions to yourself about this personal statment. I think it was great the way the writer showed his enthusiasm and understanding of engineering.

pretty good in all, but your

pretty good in all, but your first line makes you sound like a right twat

too much extra curricular,

too much extra curricular, and i think they are starting to look more at the personal statement theses days

good ps; u got ur passion

good ps; u got ur passion across without the all the bs. However the statement should be 75% academic, 25% extra-curricular. Still, u got the offers so it done the job

rarHsgQSfp

Thanks-a-mundo for the blog article.Much thanks again. Want more.

Inspiring!

Inspiring!

GrtcSidd

I value the article. Fantastic.