Economics Personal Statement Example 32

One look at the world around us and we can instantly see how vital a role economics plays in every aspect of life. A fleeting glimpse of a newspaper headline or the core section of the evening news will tell you that economics influences nearly everything we do and think.

Although I have assiduously enjoyed my study of Economics at A Level, I am now finding the models overly simplistic and superficial in their approach and long for something much more concrete. During A Level Further Maths I particularly enjoyed the Game Theory module of D2; I pursued this further and studied Yale Game Theory lectures online; a style of learning I found highly engaging and enjoyable.

Before starting Economics at A Level, Maths was my passion yet I never quite understood the practical application of some of the more abstract studies; such things, I argued were more use as a pastime than a career. Recently I began reading ‘Financial Calculus’ by Baxter and Rennie, which I found to be a valuable insight into the world where mathematics can be applied to the study of economics; an area I hope to further my understanding of at university.

Last January, I got the chance to experience lively economic debate regarding the 2008 Global Financial Crisis at Harvard Model United Nations. Prior to the conference, I was required to research past UN resolutions in depth and compose a working paper of viable solutions from the perspective of my nominated country, Egypt. As the delegate for Egypt during their time of political instability, it was even more crucial that I incorporated current events into my argument for a solution for future regulation. This task involved gaining an in-depth knowledge of global economics, particularly the complexities pertaining to LEDCs, and an understanding of how the economic policy of one country can influence another’s.

Over the last few years I have combined my enthusiasm for Maths, Economics and Computing to create iPhone applications, Flash games and websites, both personal and business. I have gained essential experience by presenting to a board of company directors and developed key skills such as how to write persuasively, analytically and explanatorily. Through learning various programming languages, I have become competent in self-teaching by way of online articles and books; a skill that particularly complements university study.

During my summer holiday, I attended a two-day course on Securities and Investments in preparation for my work experience at a fund management company. At the end of the week, I had to present what I had learned to a highly experienced group of investors. This was a perfect way to test my ability to absorb complex material in a very short period of time, as well as confirming the nature of work I hope to eventually perform.

For five years I have taught lifesaving and diving to young children and teenagers, as well as being dive team captain and a PADI Rescue Diver for three years. This, in conjunction with presenting economic arguments to students from many different cultures at Harvard, has given me a capability to communicate to a plethora of audiences, abilities and ages. My work on the Sixth Form Council this year has encompassed budgeting for events and planning a move into a new building as well as engaging in lively debates regarding school issues. I have been a member of Mensa since 2006 and find it an unrivalled source of economic discussions and ideas, which I find thoroughly engaging and diverse especially with regard to global economics; I have furthered my knowledge on these subjects by reading The Economist, Financial Times and Money Week.

I believe I have the intellectual curiosity and strength of character to be a successful undergraduate in my chosen area of study; I hope to gain a thorough understanding of the way national economies interact and how local decisions can contribute towards a much more global and interconnected economic development.

This personal statement was written by Jellybean732 for application in 2012.

Jellybean732's university choices
Royal Holloway
University College London
The University of Warwick
London School of Economics

Degree
Economics at Cambridge University