Early Childhood Studies Personal Statement Example 5

Ever since I could remember I have always wanted to play a big part in children’s education. As I was growing up I could see children of my age in Africa struggling to go to school because of their circumstances. It’s always been my goal in life to become an early year’s teacher and see children achieve their ambitions. Helping them to achieve what they want in life is a big ambition of mine.

Studying Childcare Level 3 gave me the opportunity to be one week at school and the other week at placement and these include primary schools, special needs schools and nurseries. I really enjoy my work placements because they have helped me to extend my theoretical and practical knowledge of children. My role in placements is to help children, who are struggling and less able, provide age appropriate activities, singing with them, listening to them read and also reading to them.

I was most certain that I wanted to do this course after having my work placement in Year 10 at James Elliman Primary School. It was the most fascinating and interesting experience, I totally enjoyed working with children. I just loved the thought of waking up and knowing today am going to see them learn, help them learn and see them achieve and solve problems. This made me realise that becoming an early year’s teacher was what I always wanted to do.

Working at McDonalds as a crew trainer; has helped me to learn to work in a busy environment. Working with people from different backgrounds, working as a team member, and communicating effectively with customers and other members of staff has been a learning curve. Having to teach new crew members have given me more responsibility. I also have a Basic Food Hygiene Certificate and I have a First Aid Certificate for children.

I consider myself as a hardworking and self-motivated individual who enjoys facing challenges and finding a professional way to deal with them. I enjoy listening to children and members of staff and take their thoughts into consideration. Listening to other members of staff and getting feedback helps me to learn because I will know what areas I need to improve. I feel that my good communication skills are very essential when working as a team especially when children are involved.

In my leisure time when am not studying I enjoy socialising, travelling, listening music and baby sitting my cousins, as well as help out in school when they have an events going on e.g. Open Days. Every week on a Wednesday I always do reading buddies with year 7 classes and this helps them with their vocabulary and words.

My future plans are to complete my Childcare L3 Diploma and get the required grades that will allow entry into university for a degree in Early childhood Studies. This degree will allow me to do a PGCE so I will be able to pursue a career as an early year’s teacher. This degree will allow me to gain the skills and experience I need to work with children. I look forward to going to university because this will allow me to pursue the career in life that I think I will find the most fulfilling. It is hugely important to enjoy what you do as working is such a big part of your life.

This personal statement was written by geekykid1 for application in 2011.

geekykid1's university choices
Oxford Brookes University
The University of Birmingham
University of Southampton
University of Bath
Nottingham Trent University

geekykid1's Comments

can you please tell me what you think and were i can improve?? PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME EVERYTHING IS PERFCECT !!! thank you x

It seems like you have plenty

It seems like you have plenty of experience around teaching therefore you dont really need to dedicate a paragraph to your employment with mcdonalds. It is a good personal statment though, it reads quite well.

Which university gave you an

Which university gave you an offer from the choices you listed?

Everything is perfect ;)

Everything is perfect ;)