Drama Personal Statement Example 10

When I was twelve years old, I took part in my first drama performance. I played the part of ‘Diva’, an egotistical movie star who, with her personal assistant, was among the group of ordinary shoppers trapped in a supermarket that turns out to be run by Satan.

Not a classic role, and even though our audience comprised only of our parents and neighbours it was the moment I really felt that what I was doing was right. No matter what aspect of the theatre I take part in, the thrill of the stage has always been exactly what I want to do.

Growing up in a place like the Burren has given me the chance to take part in many community activities. Summer camps, church choir, primary school plays, traditional Irish dancing and music are all part of my country Irish childhood. It gave me confidence from a very early age and has boosted my interest in extra curricular activities.

My mother is from Australia, and when I was seven we spent a year living in Victoria. I have always loved travelling and I have had the opportunity to visit Australia five times, as well as Europe and America. These experiences of different cultures have given me an open mind and positive outlook on the world.

I have been a member of the Clare Youth Theatre (CYT) for five years, and each year, I have taken part in their annual performance, working both backstage and onstage. This has been my principal training and a huge part of my life. CYT really kick started my passion for the stage, but also my interest in all aspects of theatre.

I have written, directed, been musical director, backstage manager, as well as played leads, supporting and chorus roles in all kinds of performances with the youth theatre, as well as with my school and other theatre companies. I have learnt so much as regards voice, movement, presence and improvisation as well as script writing, casting and directing and the importance of sets, costumes and music in theatre.

This year I was selected to take part in the National Youth Theatre’s ‘Youth Critics Program’, where I learned about critiquing many different types of theatre. With every bit of new information I have gained, my interest and enthusiasm has flourished and I am always eager to learn more.

Music is also a huge part of my life. I have been playing the Piano for seven years, and more recently I have been taking singing lessons. County Clare is considered the home of Irish traditional music which has always been present throughout my childhood.

From studying music my interests in all types of music has really broadened from classical to musical theatre. I have had the chance of performing in three musicals with school and took the role of musical director in two CYT productions.

My favourite subjects at school are English, Art, Music and French and are the subjects that I do best in. I consistently achieve A’s in English and French, and have a huge interest in English literature and classic novels.

In my other subjects I receive mainly B grades and above. During the summer of 2011, I took part in the Euro Language Colleges French course for three weeks, and won an award for best participation.
I want to do this course because I feel it will give me the best training in acting and performance available.

After reading the course aims and modules, I believe that it will give me great opportunities to develop my talents and skills in all aspects of theatre and to train with equally talented students from all over the UK and the world. I am determined to perfect my acting, and I hope that you can see my potential.

This personal statement was written by TamKeane for application in 2012.

TamKeane's university choices
Napier University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh

TamKeane's Comments

In this statement, I tried to bring across my passion and experience in drama, but also my general abilities and interests. I tried to make it 40% academic, and 60% other interests but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Hope it helps!